Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Went out saturday, destination the 1010 trench, 70 miles south. Well my crew came late so we got a late start @ 5:30am. Got to the bait barge, and for the first time I argued on the amount of bait we got. I have received what I beieve to be a short full scoop before and never complained. BUT NOT THIS TIME. Holy cow, I watched as they put in 2 nets with only 4 dines in. A full scoop in the my 210, I should not be able to see the light in side. We got about just under 1/2. My dine s what little I had; had lots of room to play. But they refused to add any more and stated you got more than a full. This will be the last time I tip that staff.
Antyway it was pee soup of fog, you could not see past the bow of the boat. Thank goodness for RADAR. Today was the the day to really trust your electronics. A lot of people even with radar turned back. well we made it to the 1010 and aloud a fellow fisherman tag behind us, he was from northern cal, and did not know the area.
As we got there, we trolled for the hope of Blue & yellow fin. But no love, seemed it was an early bite that we missed. Many hours searching and finding patties with no one home. The scuddle butt was if you found a patty there in the 1010 trench, you would load up on Yelltails, then the Yellowfin would come up and then the bluefin. But we could not find that lucky patty. So we headed back in a different direction in search for new patties. We finally came across one in no mans land all alone, with no other boaters in site, and she was holding yellows, and dodos. Sad thing is since we had a BIG SHORT scoop, we only had 10 dines left. we hooked up on a dodo first off and she jumped high and mighty, and came ondone. we landed the next 9 yellowtails with the 9 dines we had left, trolled the with the dead ones for no more action, had a school of tuna come to about 100 feet, but did not want to play. GOSH if we only had more dines. Just as we were doing our last of our slow troll around the patty, a Parker boat with only 2 guys aboard come a running in full throttle, we motioned to slow down, and radio to them that we are trolling a patty please slow down, we were just approaching the patty as these knot heads smiled and ran the patty over and kept on going. I have never seen such un sportsman like conduct. You know our tempers were high at that point, but what can you do. My crew wanted to yell and sceam at them over the radio, I convinced them that there was no point, and we just moved on home.

Genelie - enjoyable to read the story of your long trek on the water...bummer about the # of sardines...even more of a bummer bout the inconsiderate yahoos...I've heard from some Tuna friends that they feel boater courtesy and knowledge has gotten measurably worse (they attributed it to the advent of the internet and electronics). Anyhow, 9 YT is nothing to sneeze at - am glad you got them. I had a good albacore fish a couple weeks ago - only 25 nm from port in Santa Cruz....a short run compared to yours. Tight lines....NE California duck opener this weekend.....Barry

yup our duck season stars in about 2 more weeks.

Back