A drowning, a sad event

jergofish

Participating Member
City
Lodi
A fellow fly fisher drowned last night at San Luis Resiorvor. The large man-made lake is known for fierce winds. Apparently he and another fly fisher were fishing at night in a 15' Arima, a highly respected boat. The wind came up and somehow the boat was swamped and after floating for a short time, SANK! The person that drowned was a poor swimmer and it all happened so quickly that neither occupant thought to put their life perservers on. However, they did remember the first rule, STAY WITH THE BOAT! Apparently there was some kind of problem since the boat sank. They looked for floating debris to support themselves. The survivor found the gas tank floating and made it to shore using it as a float.

I don't know if an investigation is required but I hope that one is undertaken as to why a boat with such a great reputation, marketed with waterproof flotation chambers SANK!

I thought about the incident quite a few times today. Glad I bought a Triumph. Those big foam filled chambers are certainly some comfort.

Back