Bad Fuel Problems

billyjoebob3312

Registered Member
City
Eden
Hi Guys,
Has anyone been having trouble with the new fuel they are selling now? This summer I have had one lawnmower and my lawn tractor in the shop for repairs. Problem... "Bad Gas" Both times the Carbs had to be removed and soaked in a carb cleaner and rebuilt.
I just brought my 2008 17CC back from the dealer (60 HP Yamaha 4 stroke). 25 Hour Service and Winterization. He said that the main problems they now see is the bad fuel. I haven't had any problems with the boat at all. (Knock on my wooden head) But he recommended draining all the gas out of the tank for the winter. Witch I did...

My question to you all is witch fuel treatment have you had the best luck with? I have been using Sta-Bil but the dealer recommends Startron. If you read the reviews on line there is just as many good as bad. No Lab testing results at all. Just people raving about the product. Most of the reviews on BoatsUS weren't that good. I believe I am going to take the "It Can't Hurt" attitude and start using it.

Just wanted to get some feedback from any of you who use it.
Thanks, BJB

BJB,
My dealer said that I should use both PRI-G and Star-Tron at all times because of carbon build up from E10 fuels. I see you are from MD also, who is your dealer? Mine is Hooked on the Bay up in North East, MD. I keep my tank full at all times. I just had it winterized and topped off the tank.

Here is the website for PRI-G http://www.priproducts.com/prigproduct.htm

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As you know there are many additives on the market and probably as many opinions. One good product is SeaFoam." Sea Foam" just an opinion. Hope this helps because I know how gas problems can mess up a good day of fishing. James

Ethanol & Alcohol Fuel Test

Hi Guys,
Has anyone been having trouble with the new fuel they are selling now? This summer I have had one lawnmower and my lawn tractor in the shop for repairs. Problem... "Bad Gas" Both times the Carbs had to be removed and soaked in a carb cleaner and rebuilt.
Thanks, BJB

Here is a website that may be of some help.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/

Last edited:
Additives

I've been using Pri-G and Startron but Pri-G is getting hard to find. The closest West Marine doesn't carry it. Does anyone know or have had a recommendation for the new Sta-Bil,(ethanol preservative, etc.)? that is at least available locally. Heck the closest West Marine is 80 mi round trip so I have to need a bunch to make it worth it.
Thanks

Bill,
I get mine from my local dealer, here it is on the West Marine website.
West Marine: West Marine Search Tool
I checked the PRI website and this is where they sent me to purchase it. Hope this helps!

Back