brand new 150cc owner

trollingary

Registered Member
City
Lake Tapps
Greetings from Lake Tapps, WA (2300 acre lake midway between Seattle & Tacoma). Bought my new 150cc, with 60 hp Yamaha yesterday - and will take delivery from Verle's in Shelton in a few days. I'm retired with a bit of arthritis, so prefer to troll for Smallmouth Bass and Tiger Muskies rather than endless cast & retrieve. Hope to find out on this forum if the 60 hp Yam. is a good trolling motor for the 150cc or if the 50 hp version would be significantly better since 90% of my fishing will be trolling? I have a day or two in which it will still be easy to downgrade to the 50 horse motor if that would be significantly better for trolling. :)

TrollinGary

Gary, I had a 150CC prior to moving up to the 190 Bay. I had a Yamaha F50 on the back of it, and wish it would have come with an F60. It would get up on plane okay when I was by myself, but if I had someone sitting next to me at the helm seat, I would have to get that person to move forward until I got on plane before they sat back down.

If the F60 isn't slow enough for your trolling, you have several options. One, you could get a trolling motor, or then I've also seen on one of the posts, you could put a rope on a small bucket and drag it from the stern, which would slow you down. Whatever you decide to do, you'll be happy with the 150CC.

Jim, the Yamaha site itself doesn't address any difference in suitability for trolling between their 50 & 60 horse engines. They appear to have identical mechanical specs so I'm still nonplussed... And Jack, thanks for your comments about the 50 horse motor being marginal for the 150cc. That's the first thing I discovered while perusing the 150 forum here. Makes me glad I opted for the 60. I think I'll ask about trolling tractability of the 60 hp motor in the larger 150 forum and see what others say about that...

Back