Carpetless bunks?

natemoore1986

Participating Member
City
Gulf Breeze
What a goat-rope my trailer repair has become. Axle broke on me in early March. I installed the new rear cross-member yesterday. Getting ready to remove the front one. I could vent for several paragraphs, but I'll spare you.

The reason that the cross-members rusted out the way they did was because the carpeted bunks soaked up the salt water, then slowly trickled it down onto the galvanized steel. You could tell by the rust patterns. Fresh water rinsing could not get the salt out of the carpet.

So, I'm thinking, if I round over the edges of the new PT 2x6s, can I skip the carpet? The bottom of the hull couldn't really look any worse. Lots of scratches already. Bunks will be lag-bolted from the bottom.

I priced the composite bunks already. No way I'm spending $800.

As long as the attachment points / bolts do not hit the hull I do not see why not? I though, would much rather something that will help protect the hull as she slides off and back on ;)

I also have become a big fan of this product :)

image_328565.jpg

So, if you countersink all of the attachment points, what would naked pressure treat Lumber hurt? Have you gone through with it yet? If so, how's it working?

I am planning to replace some rusty hardware and trailer bunks this year.

You can use carriage bolts and coutersink with double lock nuts. Lags will eventually pull out. Use salt treated lumber used for docks.

Better yet, use Cypress Wood bunks and your choice if you want to cover them or not?

Current thinking (if covering?) is to just cover 3 of the 4 sides with the correct carpet and monel staples, and leave the bottom open so the wood can both drain and dry ;)

Back