dick what is the deal with ethanol

S

striperking

I have read a few reports about the new fuel and the old fuel mixing and creating a slim or thick gunk cloging the fuel filter and engine ports. The gas stations leaving warnings about drying out the gas tank before filling. What is the best way to prepare for the change over so i won't end up with a major mechanical failure on the water because of the new fuel.:confused:

striperking said:
I have read a few reports about the new fuel and the old fuel mixing and creating a slim or thick gunk cloging the fuel filter and engine ports. The gas stations leaving warnings about drying out the gas tank before filling. What is the best way to prepare for the change over so i won't end up with a major mechanical failure on the water because of the new fuel.:confused:

I've read and heard the same things. From what I understand the alcohol attracts water that may develope in your fuel tank and carries it into the carbs of your engine. If the engine sits for even a few days the alcohol evaporates and leaves the water which reacts to the metal in the carbs and creates a gunk that clogs the whole mess up. The alcohol is also a very good cleaner and disolves all the old "varnish" and crap inside your gas tank and carries it to the engine also. The best protection is a good fuel/water separator filter between your gas tank and engine. It catches the water and other crap in a sediment bowl so you can remove it before it gets to your engine. I just put a filter on my boat last night. Real easy fix and great peace of mind. I hope this helps.

Back