Ditch Bag! Whats in YOURS?

SAT phone would be very cool to have for running offshore, but they need to make a waterproof one first and change the service plans. I looked into one recently and they run about 800 bucks depending on which service your choose, but then it is 50 bucks a month for I think 50 minutes on talk time. Like everything else they will get more affordable!

I have been in the process of getting all my gear for the boat. While not all of these things are "ditch bag items" they are part of my safety gear. I do plan to make a post with some links to some of the places where I have purchased some of my gear, due to the fact that most of it is commercial stuff.

a type II epirb 406mhz with buit in gps and strobe - costly but sends help directly to your position unlike most plb or certain other types of epirb, so you have to read closely what you are buying.

type I life vests with Acr strobes, mirrors, and whistles attached to each

waterproof handheld radio

50 mile signal kit - includes - 3 pains wessex smokes,3 parachute flares, 6 flares

6 regular 12 ga. flares.

2 dye packs

48 hr. first aid kit - based on no help within 48hrs.

drift sock

emergency flashlights

emergency food and water for 3 days for 4 people.

sunscreen

extra lengths of high quality rope

handheld compass

2 wool blankets sealed in dry pouch

This is just some of the stuff, but I will make a full post later and have some links to places where I purchased some of the products I am using.

Just a disclaimer here, I do not sell these or own stock in the company, but I did buy one! Anyways posting this as information for everyone that is thinking about a PLB or Eripb. This is the newest model on the market and has all the features of an Eripb with the following two exceptions. 1. no stobe light and 2. the battery life is 24 hours at -20 degree C where the eripbs are required to last 48 hours. I went with the PLB as it is registered to the person and not the boat, so if I go out with my buddies I can take it with me. You can see from its size, it easily attaches to your belt or PDF (which is how I have it). Anyways here is the rest of the information.

Resqwpouch.jpg
RFixlogo.jpg
406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon
Product No. 2897
Model No.: PLB-300
FCC ID: B66ACR-PLB-300
Downloads Available:

• Smallest, lightest, most function-rich PLB alerts Search and Rescue to your precise location in an emergency.
  • Transmits on 406 MHz (COSPAS-SARSAT) with your registered, unique, digitally-coded distress signal, and 121.5 MHz (SAR homing frequency).
  • Exclusive built-in GPS technology is finely tuned for optimum performance.
  • 100 meter position accuracy when GPS coordinates are present.
  • Easy to activate by novice user, simply deploy antenna to reveal "ON/OFF" activation button, hold for 1 second.
  • PLB has circuitry, battery power/voltage and GPS acquisition test features built in.
  • Exceeds required 24 hour operating life at -20°C (-4°F), typical operating life: 40 hours @ -20°C (-4°F), 8 hours @ -40°C (-40°F).
  • Attachment clip mounts to back of PLB to easily clip onto life jacket, belt, backpack, etc.
  • Flotation pouch attached to prevent loss if dropped in water, easy to remove from pouch, simply pull down on lanyard.
  • Bungee lanyard allows for PLB to be easily secured preventing loss, comfortable to wear around neck.
  • ACR beacons are used by the U.S. military, U.S. Coast Guard, NATO and Arctic explorers.
  • Exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements for Category 1 (buoyant) PLBs, tested to 5 meters.
  • High impact plastic case designed to withstand exposure to UV rays, oil, sea water and raft packing.
  • 5-year limited warranty.
  • 5-year replacement life lithium battery.

Just a disclaimer here, I do not sell these or own stock in the company, but I did buy one! Anyways posting this as information for everyone that is thinking about a PLB or Eripb. This is the newest model on the market and has all the features of an Eripb with the following two exceptions. 1. no stobe light and 2. the battery life is 24 hours at -20 degree C where the eripbs are required to last 48 hours. I went with the PLB as it is registered to the person and not the boat, so if I go out with my buddies I can take it with me. You can see from its size, it easily attaches to your belt or PDF (which is how I have it). Anyways here is the rest of the information.

Resqwpouch.jpg
RFixlogo.jpg
406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon
Product No. 2897
Model No.: PLB-300
FCC ID: B66ACR-PLB-300

Downloads Available:

• Smallest, lightest, most function-rich PLB alerts Search and Rescue to your precise location in an emergency.
  • Transmits on 406 MHz (COSPAS-SARSAT) with your registered, unique, digitally-coded distress signal, and 121.5 MHz (SAR homing frequency).
  • Exclusive built-in GPS technology is finely tuned for optimum performance.
  • 100 meter position accuracy when GPS coordinates are present.
  • Easy to activate by novice user, simply deploy antenna to reveal "ON/OFF" activation button, hold for 1 second.
  • PLB has circuitry, battery power/voltage and GPS acquisition test features built in.
  • Exceeds required 24 hour operating life at -20°C (-4°F), typical operating life: 40 hours @ -20°C (-4°F), 8 hours @ -40°C (-40°F).
  • Attachment clip mounts to back of PLB to easily clip onto life jacket, belt, backpack, etc.
  • Flotation pouch attached to prevent loss if dropped in water, easy to remove from pouch, simply pull down on lanyard.
  • Bungee lanyard allows for PLB to be easily secured preventing loss, comfortable to wear around neck.
  • ACR beacons are used by the U.S. military, U.S. Coast Guard, NATO and Arctic explorers.
  • Exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements for Category 1 (buoyant) PLBs, tested to 5 meters.
  • High impact plastic case designed to withstand exposure to UV rays, oil, sea water and raft packing.
  • 5-year limited warranty.
  • 5-year replacement life lithium battery.

Just purchased the same one...working on my ditch bag contents...updates will follow

Maybe not in the ditch bag, but how many of you have bothered to get an MMSI digital number? There is more information and a great tutorial at: MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC

For those with DSC radios you are able to connect directly to your GPS/Fishfinder and should you need to send out a distress call, your location is automatically sent to all boats in the area (DSC equiped) and to the Coast Guard.

On file with the coast guard is all the emergency contact information and vessel description.

If anyone is ever in the area, the Bee Reel MMSI call number is: 338077114
MMSI NUMBER: 338077114

Maybe not in the ditch bag, but how many of you have bothered to get an MMSI digital number? There is more information and a great tutorial at: MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC

For those with DSC radios you are able to connect directly to your GPS/Fishfinder and should you need to send out a distress call, your location is automatically sent to all boats in the area (DSC equiped) and to the Coast Guard.

On file with the coast guard is all the emergency contact information and vessel description.

If anyone is ever in the area, the Bee Reel MMSI call number is: 338077114
MMSI NUMBER: 338077114

I was really excited about this feature until I found out they dont monitor it on the great lakes. :mad::mad::mad:.....
Good thing i didn't go threw the trouble of hooking it up.

HTR

Whether or not the full USCG Rescue 21 system is fully operational in your area, it still might be wise to spend the time to hook up the system (3 wires from GPS to radio) as other boats in the area can receive the distress call. It seems my main areas becomes operational by Nov '09.

USCG: Rescue 21

Benefits to Boaters

Digital Selective Calling
No new equipment is needed for you to benefit from Rescue 21. The new system will increase the Coast Guard’s ability to respond to distress calls in the coastal zone. However, you can help us improve response time by using a marine-band VHF-radio equipped with digital selective calling (DSC). If properly registered with a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and interfaced with GPS or Loran, the DSC radio signal transmits vital vessel information, position, and the nature of distress (if entered) at the push of a button. In an emergency, with one push of a button, your DSC radio will send an automated digital distress alert containing your MMSI number and position to other DSC-equipped vessels and rescue facilities. DSC will provide a quicker and more accurate response by the Coast Guard. For more information on Digital Selective Calling check out the video, Can You Hear Me?
The Boat U.S. and Sea Tow MMSI Programs have been certified by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers to vessels with DSC capable radios. To obtain and register your MMSI number, the Coast Guard recommends logging onto MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC or http://www.seatow.com/boatingsafety/mmsiinfo.htm and following the instructions. The Coast Guard Auxiliary is also available to help local boaters ensure their radios are in good working order. You can log on to I Want a VSC On-line Database to schedule a vessel safety check in your local area. The Coast Guard Auxiliary also assists with properly connecting GPS or Loran to your VHF-radio to ensure the DSC position capability functions properly.
DSC distress alerts will be received by the Coast Guard when Rescue 21 is fully operational in your area. Listed below are the MMSI numbers for Rescue 21 deployed Sectors/Groups. These numbers can be used to send a DSC message directly to a Coast Guard Sector/Group.

Great source of info. Thanks!

Back