ETEC 75 on 17cc

rdrsteve

Registered Member
I have had my boat for just over a year,@90 hrs on 2006 ETEC 75. Recently I smelled exhaust? really bad and noticed alot of oil in the water under the boat at the ramp. Thinking this was just the remains of a busy day in florida, I thought nothing of it. Gettin home, I had wondered lately about rough idling and pulled the engine cowling to see if anything was obviously wrong with the spark plugs,etc. To my surprise the oil tank was almost empty and I hadn't run the boat 3-4 hrs since last filling it up. I did notice just below the top a small slash in the tank you could see went through. I filled the tank to just below this line and marked it with tape, the next morning it was about 1-1/2 inches below the tape. Obviously another leak in the plastic tank. Anyone else had these leaks or cracks in the oil tanks? Took the boat to the closest evinrude dealer where it has sat for 2 weeks(****** about that). Anyone had any rough idling problems? How about condensation in the gauges?

have you found out what happened to you oil tank.Dont they have three years warranty?
Is it fixed now.

Cheers Paul

I have the same set up and I am very pleased. I had some slight rough idling and took it to the dealer and they replaced the plugs and tweaked the computer. no problems with the oil tank but my gauges seem to have alot of condensation, the hour meter is the worse. I have 215 hrs on it since mid aug 2006 and no complaints. my gps trip meter just turned 3100 miles. not to bad for living in Maine.

Glad your just as happy with yours.
Beautiful in Maine this time of year.I drove through it 97 down from Quebec city.Very pretty.

Oil tank was fixed finally, no questions asked, rpm gauge would not work after getting it back, bouncing back and forth for qwhile then settling down, seems to work after 3 more time of using the boat, still idles rough though. Now baitwell pump doesn't work, what a terrible access location to get to it, dealer says $150 to fix. Wanted me to check voltage to switch, but i CAN'T FIGURE HOW TO GET STEERING WHEEL OFF! I take the big nut off but there must be some trick or tool to get it rest of way off. Cannot reach switch without bending and maybe breaking mounting panel. ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!

I took my steering wheel off by backing off the big nut, don't take it all the way off but flush to the end of the threads. This is alot easier with 2 people but can be done by one. While pulling on the wheel TAP not to hard on the nut until the wheel starts to move. The reason you leave the nut on until the wheel starts to move is so you don't screw up the threads. Mine came off pretty easy. You can also place a small piece of wood over the nut. When the wheel comes off there is a key way so don't loose the key. hope this helps. Bob P.S you can also use a puller but I didn' have one.

rdrsteve,
Did you check the fuse on the console? It should be in the little rubber knob beside the baitwell switch. Just push it in to reset it.Some times the baitwell loses it's prime and the fuse will kick out. Just a thought.Good luck.
John D.

Elroy,
I had problems with my hour meter fogging on my 170CC. I started leaving the console door open where the air could flow a little and it solved the problem.
John D.

Back