Fish Have Arrived!

Old Barney

Registered Member
City
Forked River
FYI...after a long winter, Barnegat Bay and the Inlet here in New Jersey are holding fish! I've been going out about 5:30 PM and trolling with light equipment. Blue fish are chasing bait schools and I've managed to catch a bunch of 3-5 pounders and a few 7-8 pounders...What a fight on light rod and reel.

Triumph 195 CC is running well and relaively easy for me to handle alone while trolling. I can use all the help I can get (they don't call me "old" Barney for nothing). Right behind the blues are the stripers. A lot of undersize fish now but the "cows" should not be far behind.

As soon as the water in the bay hits 65-68 F, the weakfish (called I believe sea trout by you southern guys) will be spawning...It's all good now that the season is finally underway. Spending money for the new boat (I lost track)...Catching fish and christening the new boat...PRICELESS!!

Hope you guys are off to a good start as well-John

Glad to hear such! We though have 4 different fish (Trout) in Florida that are many times confused with Weakfish and they are...

Sand Trout

sandsetro.jpg

Silver Trout

silsetro.jpg

Spotted Sea trout (they get the biggest in our area)

spotsetro.jpg

And then Weakfish which I use to get when stationed in NY ;) but yet to land in our area.

weakfish.jpg

Thanks for the information...Never realized there were so many type of weakfish! Now that I think back to my younger years, I remember going with a friend in Florida out on the gulf to the flats. I think we used whole shrimp to catch what he called "sea trout". Good to hear from you...Good fishing...John

Was out in Bay last week and the Blues were all but jumping into the boat. Went out again this past Wed not a blue in site, trolled , Baited , jigged etc.
No birds working anywhere. maybe better luck next week !

Regards

Skip

My Half...That's why they call us a "jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end!" As you know, weather has closed in on us for now. Hope we can find them again next week. I'll be looking for you so we can finallly say hello-John

Back