front bunk on the trailer

HighTechRedneck

Contributing Member
City
Montgomery
The front of the boat is held up by a bar going accross the trailer. there is no bunks and it is causing the front of the boat to chip away. see pic 1 below. I was thinking of adding a roller infront of the bar to help protect the bow. see pic 2. any thoughts?

thanks
HTR

Attachments

• IMGP2541.jpg
    IMGP2541.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 74195_L1.jpg
    74195_L1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 28
HTRN,
You may want to look at your bunk layout ... the vee in the hull should not be in contact with any part of the trailer. Each side of the vee should be supported by a bunk. That may involve adjusting your bunks up a little higher so it clears the crossbeam on the trailer.

As for adding a roller, you don't want that as a pressure point either as that will tend to distort the hull from the constant pressure at that point.

Check out the bunk layout from the "download" section under the "Info" menu above.

Just my "off the cuff" thoughts...others may have different opinions.

Tight lines.

Cagrove I thought the same as you but NCangler said he had the same thing on his boat.
see thread http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/ask-factory/3812-bow-support-trailer.html
The new ones have a v shaped bunk for the front to rest on. mine has a peice of black plastic mounted on the trailer bar too help protect the hull but its not cutting it. The roller would also aid in the centering of the boat when putting it on the trailer.

any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
HTR.

HTRN,
My apologies...I did not know the newer models had that support for the front. That does seem a little counter-productive in relieving the pressure points that are known to produce hull distortions, but I'm not an engineer. I hope someone else will jump in on this thread to provide some more guidance.

Tight lines.

OK, my 1/50th of a dollar. Attached is a picture of my trailer, before I had the boat. The long boards that support the hull are longer than standard. The V shaped pieces in front, is what I am understanding where your problem is.

Only guessing, but to me, either the boat is going to far forward, the front support is not bent far enough into a V, or the long support boards need to be longer to do a better job of supporting the boat as it is placed back on the trailer. Or maybe a combination. Again, just a guess on my part.

Good luck on solving your problem and please post your solution.

Attachments

• Trailer front view - sm.jpg
    Trailer front view - sm.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 63
hightech my 08 is just like yours .just a flat black piece i have not notice any chiping ... i do put my trailer in the water up to the top of the wheel fenders. when takeing it out and in.. and the angle of the ramp you are useing could have a effect on the way your bow rides up over the cross brace. i was thinking about could you put carpet on the black piece to cut down the friction.one thing about my boat when all the way up on the trailer the boat is just touching the black piece not sitting on it very hard... good luck

I checked with the factory on this and here was their response:
The new ones actually don't have a V bunk on them, that is the 195's.
The V bunk is there to help support the bow on the 191/195. The 215
does not require this support so it has the plastic piece on it. The
typical reason that people run there bow onto that cross member is they
are backing their trailer too far into the water when recovering the
boat. The flat bunk system is designed to allow you to drive the boat
up onto the bunks, this also helps with centering the boat on the
trailer while recovering it. When the boat is allowed to float all the
way or most of the way up before it comes in contact with the trailer
the approach angle of the boat vs. the trailer is too steep and it
allows contact with that front cross member. A roller is not
recommended under any portion of our boats with the exception of the
winch stand.

All
Thanks for your responses. When I back the trailer to the water to get the boat I go in just far enough to not cover the tops of the wheelwells some of the ramps I'm on are very steep but most aren't to bad. Well I guess no roller then. I didn't feel like putting one on anyway. Looks like instead of working on the boat this weekend I'll be fishing.

Thanks Again
HTR

Back