galvanizing paint - help needed

Shallowminded

Participating Member
City
Savannah
I know there are folks a lot smarter than me on here so I thought I would post a question to see if someone has any tips to share or has experience with painting lifts.

My lift is galvanized metal. The shaft has gotten some rust so I wanted to touch it up. Problem is, the rust is in the intertidal area (we have 7 - 8 foot tides here). I scraped, sanded, grinded, etc. to prep, rinsed and then sprayed with cold galvanizing spray. It had a few hours to dry before the tide came in but lasted maybe a couple of days before it started flaking off. Now I am back to square one.

Talked to a couple of people (the lift manufacturer for one) and they are at a loss as to why the galvanized paint wouldn't work. Could it be that I rinsed it with salt-away instead of just plain water? Is there a better rinse? They have told me that cold galvanizing paint should cure pretty quickly so the time shouldn't have been a factor.

I would like to give it another try but only if I change one of the steps - I'm not insane! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Back