Hello from Deltaville

D

Deltaviller

on the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. Recently put down some $$$ to secure a special-order 06 170CC. Opted for stern backrests/rails, bimini, trolling motor prerig, fishing seat, bow cushion, with standard--at least for our dealer-- 60 hp 4stroke Yammy. No swim ladder or bow rail. We do a lot of creek and Piankatank river (Chesapeake tributaries) fishing and idle cruising, with an occasional excursion out on the rocky James river above Richmond. :)

I'm confident about going out a couple miles into the Chesapeake Bay itself with the 170CC, more on a nice day. Weve ventured out a little ways in our 12 foot Portabote with 9.8 hp Nissan and know how quickly conditions can change. The Portabote is another plastic-based boat, though much less massive and sturdy. After about 6 years with it, I'm convinced polyethylene or poly....carbon.... (the Portabote plastic is slightly different) have a future in boat hulls.

Any helpful tips for a newcomer would be appreciated.

Welcome to this site.

Hope you can learn a little and teach others a little over time. Yes we are sold on plastic boats. Please post some pictures when you can.

Deltaviller,
I've got a 2004 170CC with the 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Great rig. I live in Southeastern NC and fish strickly saltwater. I've had my boat out as far as 20 miles offshore on a great day with a "buddy" boat. I felt safe and comfortable in my little Triumph. I have a swim platform (for safety reasons) I'm getting too old to "Jump" out of the water. I don't have the fishing chair or a trolling motor; maybe next year. My 170CC will run 36mph (GPS) WOT 5600 rpms with 2 adults, motor trimmed out. I can fish/play most of the day and average about 5 gallons of fuel. I probably get a little over 7 miles to the gallon. Everyone on this site will help with any questions that you come up with. Feel free to ask. Good Luck
John D.

fridaysoff said:
Deltaviller,
I have a swim platform (for safety reasons) I'm getting too old to "Jump" out of the water.

First, congrats on your new boat. You'll love the 170CC...I have a '03 model and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a 190 or 210 but then it wouldn't fit in my garage, but that's another subject :D ). It sounds like you've got the boat ready to go with all of the necessary accessories. You may want to consider adding a swim platform as Fridaysoff suggested just for the peace of mind. In my experience with my boat, it is very difficult to get in the boat from the water without the platform. Even with a portable ladder and someone on board, it is a real chore. I wouldn't want to bet my life on getting back in on a cold day after an unexpected dunk. Just my opinion, of course.
If you ever decide to try out the D.C. area of the Potomac River, give me a yell. I'm always up to showing someone around. Again, congrats on your new boat.

Ahoy, fridaysoff! Maybe we can exchange fish stories as the year goes on. You must tie into some dandy catches in the Atlantic nearshore (and not-so-near). We do a lot of light tackle stuff in water thats 2 to 10 feet deep, Stringray Point and Gwynns Island neighborhood of the Chesapeake Bay. My wife landed a 28 inch Striper on very light spinning gear with a 4 lb mono leader. We're going to try more fly fishing this year...:)

Hi cagrove, aka Chuck. I'm going to try to back mine--should arrive from factory in a month or two-- into a 22X19 gargage using a trailer dolly.. I figure I should have enough room at an angle. My plan is to pull it in using a trailer dolly because I'll have to make a fairly sharp right hand turn and its via a back alley with no room to manuever a vehicle. Once it warms up I plan to let it float almost all summer.

Re. swim ladder, you have a good point about the seriousness of the situation if you fall out of the boat in cold water. None-the-less I ultimately talked myself out of it. It seemed like the optional stern rails and backrest on my boat might get in the way of using the swim ladder. Also, I think I can get back in by pulling myself up a little on the stern seat rails, planting a foot on the motors cavitation plate and then jumping right on up. I would like to have some system for rescuing others though-- so I'm going to look into that on the aftermarket.

Deltaviller said:
I think I can get back in by pulling myself up a little on the stern seat rails, planting a foot on the motors cavitation plate and then jumping right on up.

Sounds good. Please pick a warm day and take a buddy with you and try it out before you need it. Good luck with those Bay Stripers. I've caught them up to 15lbs on a fly rod...what a thrill. Take care.

Deltaviller, good luck w/your new Triumph. I am sure you and your family,and friends will love it. I know mine has. My daughter has turned out to be my best fishing buddy.At least she can't back out on me:)

Deltaviller,
Most of my fishing is inshore also. I mainly fish for Flounder, some Speckled Trout , and a few Drum. We have quite a few Artificial reefs close to shore here in Southeastern NC. Most of them are within 5 miles offshore, approx. 40-60' deep. This will be my third season with my 170 CC and each one keeps getting better. I have owned at least a dozen boats, worked on head boats and tug boats, but I have never been so impressed with a boat as much as this little "plastic" Triumph. Both Triumph boats and 4 Stroke engines were made for each other. The combination of the smooth quite ride, the quite 4 stroke engine, and a slick wind free sunrise on the water is as close to heaven as you can get without going to church! I would love to get up to the Chespeake and catch some of those big Vir. Mullet when they're "thick" up that way. Let me know if there's any questions you have on your new Triumph. If I can't answer them someone on this site can. Good Luck.
John D.

Sounds good fridaysoff,

Looking forward to testing the smooth ride on a little Chespeake Bay chop. Ive been studying maps and finding a lot of Bay coastline that should be reachable in the 170CC. Ive done some fishing in Canada and the Northwest Territories. The guides up there take little 16 foot aluminum "eggbeater" boats out into some awfully big water-- Lake Kasba, for example, about 40 by 75 miles across and ice cold. So I figure I'll be ok going out a ways into the Bay, around Stingray Point and up the Rappahanock. That opens up a lot of water I couldnt reach in my 12' Portabote with 9.8 hp Nissan.

Back