jet drive outboard on 190 Bay?

agereety

Participating Member
City
Framingham
I am curious as to whether or not anyone has ever put a jet drive outboard on a 190 Bay. I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. A jet driven outboard on a Triumph boat would constitute the most amazing fishing boat this world has ever known. With a tunnel hull - it would be unstoppable. I have many thoughts on this subject, but I would like to see what others have to say. My current thoughts : Take a 190 Bay - figure out how to create a tunnel on it, slap an E-tec jet on it, and let the games begin!

If We Could Get The Tunnel ,it Wouldnt Matter Which Motor You Used---i Have Never Seen A Jet Drive Outboard Large Enough To Push A 190

jet drive on 190 bay

The max horse power on a 190 Bay is 150 hp - I believe. A 225 hp (prop outboard) - would crank out roughly 150 horses as a jet driven outboard ( I am assuming). There is some formula that says something like - with a jet - you need one horse power for every 25 pounds of weight that you need to push. So, you probably could get away with a jet driven outboard that cranked out 115 hp as a jet - given the weight of the 190 Bay.
The aluminum jet sleds are unbelievable, but they get banged up. People are actually screwing on sheets of plastic to the hulls of these jet sleds - in order to get them to slide over rocks. I have a Coleman Scanoe - it's plastic. It's virtually indestructable. The triumphs are plastic - also virtually indestructable. People say that you can't have one boat that "does it all. " I used to believe that was true until now. I want to run skinny/shallow water, but I also want to hit tidal rivers in Maine for Stripers. I have run aground on more than one occasion while running in the shallows. I have wrecked a lower unit doing it.
If you could get a tunnel in a 190 bay - consequently lift the outboard jet slightly above the bottom of the hull - I am assuming you could run the thing aground all day long - not hurt the motor -slide over the rocks - and your only hassle would be pushing your Triumph boat back into deeper water. To be able to do this - run the shallows (follow the "road less traveled",etc..) - I believe I would be willing to give up my lifetime hull warranty ( by altering the hull) in a heartbeat.
My name is Andrew. I live in Massachusetts, but I fish alot in Maine. I don't know how to post on forums properly, and I will correct this very soon. I think my post is in the "Meet and Greet" section. I love this site, and I am loving what I am seeing with the Triumph boat line. I want in. I have never seen a boat like a Triumph or a website like this before. Triumph boats appear to offer unprecedented features. I already knew that plastic was the toughest boat material because I "beat the tar "out of my Coleman Scanoe ( a plastic boat) , and it's the best boat I have ever owned. Place my emphasis on communication and "thinking outside of the box." When I do goofy stuff - I run the idea by as many people as possible. This enables me to make informed decisions. This process has served me well in life. The Triumph Owners website here is like nothing I have ever seen in the "boat world." It offers access to a knowledge base that is the product of every Triumph owner's knowledge. If someone else has already gained knowledge on a subject or has advice to offer - I believe you would be foolish not to have a chat with them. I am on a quest for knowledge. I have read about hull warpage, water in the bilge, etc.., but I am unphased. I recognize the greatness here, and for me - the positives outweigh the negatives by a longshot.
I have been to the Seattle boat show ,and I have been in several aluminum jet sleds. They are unbelieveable. However, aluminum is not indestructable. These guys are trying to reap the benefits of plastic by putting sheets/strips of it on the bottom of their hulls. They are doing this to be able to slide over rocks. If Triumph made a plastic version of the aluminum jet sled - I'd probably have heart palpitations and need medical attention. Since they don't - I want to research how to get a tunnel and jet outboard onto one. I am prepared to be the "guinea pig" for this. The potential is mind boggling. I could use guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard agreety! I like your style. ;) I'm forwarding your post to Triumph to throw in their "what if" basket (if they have one). :D

Triumph jet boat - "What if?"

To begin with - I want to thank "Illogical GGC" and "NCangler" for your responses. I am digging the idea of a "what if" box in a big way. I plan to pursue this Triumph with an outboard jet thing all the way. I intend to do it with the help of others - that's how I conduct myself. I can't think of a better "forum" for doing this then what we've got right here.
Here's where I am currently at: I attended the boat show in Boston, and they did not have a 190 Bay there. Soon, I'll be going to the dealership to check out the 190 Bay. I have looked at the Triumph brochure, been all over the internet, etc.., and I can't seem to find a "good" /detailed photo of the transom/underside of a 190 Bay. It would appear that there is a flat transom with a step? I will be researching whether or not that hull design will be well suited to a jet driven outboard. I will then want to know how to achieve it with minimal (the least required) modifications.
It is quite possible that a tunnel is not even necessary. I'll be contacting the place in California that manufacturers jet drives for outboards and many other people regarding this manner. It's not a question of "if" this boat fantasy will become a reality - it is a question of "when" and "how."

well i just saw a video clip of a 23' ski boat with a 250hp merc jet drive system, so i must retract my statement of there not being an engine package big enough.

having given it more thought ,i do remember seeing a builder in goldsboro nc that builds 19' boats w/150 optimax jet dirves for river /inshore waters

I think that with the 190's current pocket drive hull (which many forget it has) and if you position the outboard jet correctly, the 105 HP Honda (150 VETC engine) would work fine I just don't think it would not be much of a speed demon... Here again, no 190 is, but what this hull looses in speed it more than makes up for in stability when 2 big dudes are up and walking (or running across) on the desk fighting fish ;)

Back