Lithium Batteries

Frank Powers

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
NC
I've never used lithium deep cycles before but thinking maybe it's time. I see options and prices all over the place so I thought I'd ask here and maybe get some pointers on the "sweet spot" regarding price/performance/durability.
I need 24v of dependable deep cycle power for my trolling motor and electronics. Tired of buying 12v wet cells every other year, 3 of them, so, what are you guys doing, and what charging methods are required? I currently use a Noco Genius 2 Bank mini, which regretably is not sufficient for Lithium looks like. Any pointers would be great.

The way I understand it you will likely need a new charging system for Lithium batteries.
Not trying to put you off lithium, but if you are buying new batteries every other year, something is wrong.
Could be your battery supplier doesn't keep fresh stock. Can't remember the codes at the moment, but batteries have a code indicating the manufacture date. If the battery is more than a few months old I would not buy them.
I have had very good luck with AC Delco Voyager Marine/RV deep cycle/cranking batteries. Using them as cranking/house electronics batteries (but not trolling motor) mine typically last 5-6 years. Been using them several decades.

I’ve thought hard about lithium, biggest factor being the weight difference would really be significant to my 170cc. On a bigger boat with more HP I would not consider them as closely.
To Dave’s point/posts- My trolling motor batteries are high quality, reasonably priced wet cells that are set up nice and taken care of properly. I use those Megaware battery guard pads too. They are in season 3 and I just took them to the battery shop to be tested. Strong as hell still. I’ve always been surprised how quickly they are back to full charge after a day of significant use. Usually 60-120 minutes, NOCO Gen onboard 2 bank 10A.
So for the price and that kind of performance, as bad as I want to lighten the load with lithium I can’t justify preemptively replacing them. Add the price of a new charger and my perfectly good NOCO being wasted also.
If I feel a little rich when the time comes I still might be tempted by lithium for the 170.

I am using a single 24V Battle Born battery to power my Garmin trolling motor. Battery charger is made by Victron Energy. I love the set-up.

It seems like lithium build quality is all over the map. Battle Born seemed well built from the tear-down videos I've watched and the Battle Born/Victron combination is what came from the factory in my Airstream (I trust the brand and already had experience).

For the Garmin, I needed 60amp continuous current capability which not many 24V batteries provide unless you are 100+ amp/hr which gets very large and expensive. The Battle Born is very similar to a group 27 battery (slightly taller I believe), is a 50amp/hr but can put out 60amps.

I decided to go ahead with the Lithium upgrade. More than anything else due to the fact that Lithium provides full power all the time, until there is no power, as opposed to a constant voltage drop all the time when they are in use like wet cells do. There is no point having tons of amp hours if the battery voltage drops below useable levels when half the ah capacity is used, which is almost always the case when I experience failures.

So I went with the Power Queen 12v 100 ah batteries, 2 of them at $319 each and free delivery from Amazon.

My current charger for deep cycles is a Noco Genius Gen2 2 Bank that doesn't like Lithium, but it's an excellent charger so I'll probably sell that. The newer version Gen 5 is what I decided to go with and so I picked it up at my local Academy store for $139. Most places online are out of stock on them but Academy had 2 on the shelf.

Thank you guys for your input.

Attachments

• 1-NOCO-GEN5X2-Waterproof-Battery-Charger.jpg
    1-NOCO-GEN5X2-Waterproof-Battery-Charger.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Power Queen.jpg
    Power Queen.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
Quality AGM units have very low setting power loss (also) but it is the weight, etc., etc.

So, I totally get it and IF I could afford (or get a sponsor) for Lithium batteries it would be the logical step to also take ;)

Did you check and see if your current charger has the ablity to flash / update the firmware to update it's charging profiles by chance?

Did you check and see if your current charger has the ablity to flash / update the firmware to update it's charging profiles by chance?
I did not Dave, but it has no ports or any way to attach hardware for updating so it's pretty unlikely, especially at it's price point.

Understood, and just looking for possible ways to not spend money if not needed ;)
The money was 2nd tier actually, I took my 1 year old twin grand children for a boat ride last week and had power failures with both my 24v trolling motor as well as my navigation/sonar combo. I consider this a safety issue which I will spare no expense on where grand babies are involved.

Back