Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Hey Puttershark Dave, how did you like the Lowrance Elite 7 you just sold? I'm considering adding a second Lowrance display to my setup. I have the HDS10 (radar, sounder, autopilot, coupled with iCom radios, etc.,) and want the newer sonar options of the Elite series. I am NOT going to network it with my current system. I'm looking at the Elite 9ti. Just a stand-alone sounder with internal GPS. And I'm NOT going to remove my HDS sounder and transducer.

So, how did you like the Elite 7? How were the various new sonar options of CHIRP, StructureScan, etc?

Martin

Last edited:
Good Morning!
The Elite 7 HDI was a good little unit and never a seconds trouble and easy to see even in Florida Sun, but did not have the power to run some of the more modern chartplotter chips. That one also did not have side scan sonar which for my needs, is much better than looking down. Looking down in 2 foot of water is pretty useless ;) So as such, hard to compare the older 7 HDI unit to the much more advanced Elite 9 Ti which I now have :cool:

So I compared offerings from both SIMRAD and Lowrance (really the same company, Navico) and wanted a unit that had at least a few basic input buttons. The SIMRAD GO9 though a fine unit, is all touch screen and I heard more than one comment about wet hands and trouble with such. So the Lowrance which I am big fan, was clearly the more logical choice for my needs.

For you I would "Network it" and let the newer 9ti with it's much newer total scan transducer, be the main feed for all the units onboard. It can display both side and down at the same time (if needed) as well as have some other features your older HDS10 may not have. 1st thing I would do with the present HDS10, would ensure she is running the latest software and see if that brings online some newer features that "might" negate evening having to add the second unit?

If you do elect to go with the new 9Ti, then take the time to reach out to RMP (Russell Marine Products) and let Dee Dee know that Dave from Performance Outdoors sent you. I am quite sure you can get the best costing on it like she did for me :) And when combined with no Sales Tax and free shipping, saved quite a few dollars at a even smaller base price nobody else was willing to match :D

You can find them located here: https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/

And also here
Email: [email protected]
By Phone: (316) 313-4113

Here is a video in the differences on the various Transducers for the Lowrance line from Justin at RMP, which may help clear up what you may actually need for your best use case ;)

And don't forget to view this on how to set up a NEMA 2000 Network so you can pull all those units together :cool:

https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/how-to-build-a-lowrance-nmea-network.9283/

Hope this helps and call me if you have any questions :D
Dave

Side scan is, conversely, useless for me. Many hundreds of feet of depth and virtually never in shallow water. Except the boat ramp.

The HDS10 has the latest software. And the current sounder works well, but I'm always looking to get the best performance I can out of what I've got. So I pulled it to check the transducer label on the end of the cable and once I knew which transducer was on board, I went into the software and found it was not set correctly. I've since selected the correct software setting for that transducer and I'm expecting it to work better. Though it was working pretty well before.

Really what I'm looking for, is a second display so I don't have to split screen or constantly switch back and forth when I want a full screen. A second display could be just the sounder, and I may as well get a better sounder as the HDS10 chartplotting is very good and has all the latest charts, stuff and etc.

Anyone else have an opinion on these units or suggestions for a standalone sounder display?

Last edited:
Well as a second screen and maybe with a upgraded transducer if needed (I know, Royal Pain to swap them over) that Elite 9 Ti would work great for such ;)

Good time to also pull up, the needed engine harness to add engine data feed to either unit :cool: If any of the present engine gauges fail, or you are looking to disply fuel burn on one of the Lowrance units to really trim her our for best range. I know the 9Ti can handle such as a optional screen and suspect the HDS10 can also :D

I have data included on my network. And a set of OEM gauges with all the same info. Accurate fuel burn rate, remaining fuel and total fuel used was achieved only after a software upgrade.

Sounds killer Martin, and would like to see some screen shots of how the HDS10 is now configured and looks when running with the engine data :D

Here is a review video of the newer Elite 9Ti so you can see it's features and some configuration tips :)

I'll see about posting a video, or at least a photo or two.

My Davis RockHarbor had three Garmin displays, Chartplotter/radar, sounder, and engine data. Even though I had he Volvo Diesel data system, it was nice to have even more data on a screen. Including fuel use data. Got pretty spoiled with that.

Even my 215cc had two displays. Same thing: Multi screen info. My 235 has only one. So, I think I've settled on adding the Elite 9ti, just haven't picked it up yet.

I'm installing a Airmar P66-bl to the HDS-10. My research says it will make the most of the HDS sounder.

All new, modern, awesome electronics would be awesome. And spendy.....

Back