Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
I own a RT-70. The "Grip Glide" type.

Am I doing something wrong when I try to deploy this thing???

I grab the "D" handle lock and have to POUND on the motor unit to get it to slip off the saddle. Am I missing something? Its a major pain in the *** as well as a pain in the hand.

If this is how it needs to be done, its a major design flaw.

Bringing back to the stowed position is easy but the deploying sucks!

Somebody...please! Putershark?? Anybody? Buller?

Please?

After pulling the release claw up, push DOWN slightly on the shaft to lift the motor off its rest pads and then move the shaft from side to side slightly as you push it forward.

After about 50 or so deployments you'll get the hang of it and it won't be a big deal any more. I laugh when others fish with me and volunteer to take care of the trolling motor. After a couple of attempts at deployment, they surrender the job back to me.

Also make sure that the shaft is nice and clean... Some spray silicone on the shaft may help some. Now if it keeps up I would get it to the local Minn Kota dealer for a quick inspection ;)

Minn Kota recomends Armor All to lube the shaft and keep it sliding smoothly.It is good to know that I am not the only one who has trouble deploying their autopilot. I have seen others not tilt the motor housing horizontal and simply stow in the vertical but claw locked position.This is OK for short non-jarring runs,but should be stored motor housing horizontal on the motor rest the rest of the time. I employ a RAM trolling motor stabilizer on both my trolling motors for a rock solid ride on the water and the road.

Back