rip tide sp trolling motor

retiredaag

Registered Member
City
Jacksonville
i have a new minn kota riptide sp bow mount trolling motor and am wondering if any one else has a problem deploying the motor? i have to use my foot and step (actually kick it) using my hand i also have to get on the other end and push or use my knee to deploy it, other wise the motor works great. thanks

I read a tip on another forum that said to use Armour All on the shaft for a lubricant. My new Terrova seems to slide fine I would check with MinnKota first though.

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like it will work. I'll try it and let you know! Never thought of it, but it sure ought to work!

I have the same problem with my Terrova. It is the locking mechanism that is stiff. I think that it probably is meant to keep it from deploying during a rough ride. I haven't checked with the dealer yet but if you get another answer please let us know.

Deploying Minn Kota Riptide

There is a lever that I have to press in order to deploy my Minn Kota. I noticed that it helps to press inward and then down in order to release it. I like using the optional foot pedal with a cord, and it occasionally starts behaving strangely. I plan on getting a back up foot pedal for it in the near future. Sometimes, it continues to turn the motor after I have lifted my foot off of it. Even though it is a little quirky - I love this motor. It is very strong - I have run it into the ground a couple/few times, and it never shears a pin. It also enables me to get into very skinny water. I had it in the rapids (whitewater) around rocks this past weekend. -Andrew

thanks i will try that with the motor the next time. i bought the wireless foot pedal and sometimes mine will keep turning but i think i probably still have my foot on it and dont know it. the only thing i dont like about the foot pedal is the speed rocker it is small, but that to i am getting used to. ive done just about everything to my motor so far like hitting stumps, rocks, and getting a gill net wrapped up in it, so far great motor.

my riptide had the same problem when I first got it. It will loosen up over time. I'm sure that some type of lubricant would help. Whatever you do don't stand up and use your foot because I can tell you it is a good way to end up very wet. I have the wireless remote for mine and I love it.

cj

ArmorAll works great to help in deploying the motor. Now if I I can just get used to the foot pedal. I have both the wireless and wired versions and after owning them for a year still cannot get used to them. Any tips for getting the pedal to respond better. I am seriously thinking about eating the $800 I paid for the motor and buying a standard foot pedal model that you see on bass boats all the time but am concerned about what the occasional use in salt water would do to it. Any thoughts ?

trolling motor

I bought the wireless foot pedal because i didnt like the hand remote that came with it, now that i have the foot pedal i find that i make use of both in certain situations. But i have a bow seat and do use it most of the time as i can not stand a lot, it does not work for me near as good standing as it does sitting, and i think its like that with other people to. but as i am using it more and more i do like it. hope it gets better for you i know how you feel when somethong is not working for you that you have payed a lot of money for.

Is Autopilot available?

Is Autopilot available for the Riptide motors? My Terrova was supposed to come with AP but did not have the circuit board installed. As a result, I used it a couple of times with the hand remote but without the AP and found it to be pretty hard to control. When I got the AP module, it was like a night and day difference! I find that I can set the motor to move the boat along a bank and then concentrate on fishing with the motor compensating for wind and current. It is a truly amazing difference. It will even allow you to fish one spot without anchoring by setting the motor speed and turning the boat into the wind.

A buddy of mine who got one with AP after years of using the old cable models said if his fell off the boat, he would order a new one before it could hit the bottom of the lake!

Tony

Auto piot

I made the mistake of not buying the auto-pilot option on my rip-tide sp. And it looks like you can upgrade the st and not the sp. Well you live and learn. Try to save a dollar.

Autopilot is available on Riptide motors

My Riptide has the "auto pilot" feature, and I dig it a lot. If I have to leave the bow area briefly - it's pretty handy to have it hold the boat in place. It does function just like an anchor in that capacity. By setting the speed accordingly - it can hold the boat in the same spot against wind and current. While I do like the foot pedal - there are also times when it's easier to let the auto pilot do it's thing. - Andrew

Back