motor dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rockman

Dick. Rockman again. Got boat back from dealer put in water today march 12 its 3rd try. since Oct It made it 500 yards before new Kicker 4hp, saved me from wahing up 0n the rocks with tide and current. Got it restarted ran 25 min died again restarted 3 rd time got back to ramp. Took it home where it died 2x during frest water flush using mouse ears and about 1200 rpm. Yamaha 115 4 stroke 04 model total time 2-3hrs most any Idears,
pulled gas filter clean. Rockman

Yamaha motors are usualy trouble free, so for now, assume it's not the motor. I would remove the anti siphon valve at the tank, either punch out the ball or replace the fitting. It looks like a standard threaded hose fitting but has a small ball bearing that stops fuel from siphoning out if you have a broken fuel line. We have had problems with the ball sticking and the motor running out of fuel. Then change the fuel primer ball in the fuel line. Make sure that it has a slight angle up at the motor side when installed, so the ball inside seats properly. Only use a major motor brand not an aftermarket one. After this, the motor should be checked by a qualified dealer.

Dick

dick. it will not even start any more. ran for 6 min.at 1400 died for good. gas filter still has gas in it . last time out 2nd try figured it was out of gas due to defective gas gauge. but died the same way no sputters, or start and stop, like when a engine usually runs out of gas. just dies. Everyone I talk to here runs from trhe warrantee blaming old gas. According to modern marine he put first ever gas in during oct 05. 10 gallons. I have added 65 since then, It can't be old or varnish build up or am I wrong??? OTHER BOAT 115 2st. yam. RUNS FINE ON SAME GAS Basic all bought during same time.

Just to be sure that it is the motor, try running the motor on a 6gal portable tank with fresh gas. If it doesn't run, It is the motor and a qualified Yamaha dealer will be able to fix it.

Dick

motor stops running

Modern Marine will work with you on your boat as I had a little problem with mine and the were more than helpful....How long have you been having these problems? Have you tried to call your dealer and have them look at it . Keep us posted on what they find.

dick. how would you go about running it on a 6 gallon tank. Their are no connections for an external tank. Its plumed tank, selector (on Off), fuel bulb, right to inside of motor housing where it goes direct no connections to fuel filter.The bulb was on a slight up angle. Rockman. check back sunday off to savannah for st. paddys day party

problems since oct 05 when they sold it to me. has never run right 3 tries broak down all 3x in shop most of the time awaiting repairs or parts Its a SHOP Queen

Rockman, We run motors all the time on portable tanks. If your fuel line has a barbed connector, pull it apart and hook your tank. If it doesn't, remove the line at the motor. Don't forget the fuel bulb.

Dick

Rockman, I hope you get some satisfaction quick on your motor. I think it is ridiculous for a new engine to have the problems you describe. I would be looking at any overheat sensors to be sure a faulty one is not shutting the engine down when it thinks there is an overheat problem, which does not exist. Your descriptions of trouble do not sound like a fuel flow issue. Seems more ignition related and possibly tied to heat since it occurs early in the operation of the motor.

On another note, Dick, why do most all outboards now have the fuel line fixed to the engine without a quick disconnect? Seems to make all the old habits of running an engine dry of fuel rather difficult. What gives?

Codfish

You ran the fuel out back when you ran premix in the tanks. The gas would evaporate and guess what would happen to the oil. Now everything is oil Injected or 4 stroke. No need to run the gas out of the carbs. Just put some fuel stabilizer in your fuel or pump your fuel bulb when you walk by your boat.

Thanks Boat Man. Makes sense to me. Just never thought about the oil/gas seperation thing. Something else I learned today!

Dick. on my boat their are 2 lines for fuel. In feed, and return its been said both have to be correct for the engine fuel injection system to work right. Their are no quick/easy connects ect. between tank and motor. only hard connections at fuel bulb and shut off under deck. How and where would you cut fuel lines for an external tank plus add quick connects. Second what needs to be done to the second Return fuel line so that the engine runs.

Thanks for letting us assist you on the problem...As we said it was a defective anti-siphen on the main pick-up. Let us know if we can be of any other help, as I said before I'll help you as long as you'll let us THANKS AGAIN Mike...

Yes It only cost 2 days work $220.00 in gas and 530 miles of driving.To get the boat fixed
AGAIN Been in the water 3x Back to Dealer 3x What a bargain I Got.
Ive named it. The LEMON. Can't understand WHY my 2001 LOGIC 186 is so GREAT yet The 191 Triumph??? The LEMON says it all

For clarification, you are having a painful MOTOR problem not a Triumph 191 problem correct? Is it a Yamaha? What year model engine? In fairness to Triumph on this one we should be referring to the problem as a motor problem not a Triumph problem I think. It is a package but the boat and the engine are two different manufacturers with different warranties, etc. The key is the dealer that sells the package.

Wrong. It is an everything problem. This repairs bills were to Triumph they put the ball backflow set up in from my understanding. The faulty trim gauge was yamaha. The faulty Gas Gauge and breakdown was triumph. As was the corroded breakers, fuse holders cable ends. cut up streening wheel. defective steering assembly, all Triumph. The inability to shift properly, That I am not sure of,who paid for the new cables?? cutup seats defective seat mounts 7, and Bildge pump were Triumph all total . The Boat has been layed up awaiting parts or in the shop. 65 days since Oct 21 2005. I have lost 4 plus days work. spent over $400 on gas transporting it more miles than it will likely run in 3 yrs for what. I have a 2001 Logic 186 that works like a SWISS watch.

rockman said:
Wrong. It is an everything problem. This repairs bills were to Triumph they put the ball backflow set up in from my understanding. The faulty trim gauge was yamaha. The faulty Gas Gauge and breakdown was triumph. As was the corroded breakers, fuse holders cable ends. cut up streening wheel. defective steering assembly, all Triumph. The inability to shift properly, That I am not sure of,who paid for the new cables?? cutup seats defective seat mounts 7, and Bildge pump were Triumph all total . The Boat has been layed up awaiting parts or in the shop. 65 days since Oct 21 2005. I have lost 4 plus days work. spent over $400 on gas transporting it more miles than it will likely run in 3 yrs for what. I have a 2001 Logic 186 that works like a SWISS watch.

Wow!!!! Did you not go over the boat and have a test run before buying it or did all of this come about after you picked it up from the dealer???

Rockman-see If Triumph Boats Will Help You Out With Some Of Your Expenses. If Not, Theres Always The Better Business Bureau On The Internet. You Can Put It "out There" For All The World To See. I Just Did It On Another Matter And,trust Me, It Does Work.

Rockman, Now I'm confused! A yamaha 4 stroke does not have a fuel return line. The fuel line from the Fuel filter on the motor, out thru the rigging grommet is a grey line, with a fuel coupler. This is coupled to the fuel line from the boat. Most dealers hook it at the fuel bulb.

Dick

dick the second line is from the tank now called a reserve line it becomes one after the selector switch a second in the motor goes to the motor tank behind the intake manifold. fuel injection is a little knowledge area for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back