My mistake

john f

Registered Member
City
Bolton
State
Ontario
Last weekend while loading my 195CC, 150 Evinrude, I failed to notice that the water level had dropped at the boat ramp. That, combined with not backing the trailer in as far as I should have, resulted in a few knicks on the prop and a slight bend in the skeg. I am pretty sure that I can file the knicks down on the prop, but I am not sure what to do about the skeg. The bend is not real bad, a few degrees off dead vertical. I haven't had the boat in the water since, so I can't tell if there are any handling issues yet. Has anyone attempted an "at home" straightening of a bent skeg, or is this the domain of the engine mechanic, or should I just leave it alone if there are no handling issues? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I can't believe I made such a rookie mistake, but one thing for sure - it will not happen again - EVER!

Don't ever say EVER or NEVER! That's what I thought as I dragged the skeg of my engine across the asphalt sidewalk while taking my boat out of the yard, no noticeable damage either time.

Don't beat yourself up i did the same thing about 10 yrs ago
before i attempted to do anything besides tell myself how stupid i was i just tried and did not see any difference so i left it alone but never forgot to make sure my motor was raised evey time
as far as trying to bend it i think i would first ask my dealer for options i am sure they see this quite often and can give you the best advise My first thought was heat but i'm sure that would boil your fluids not to mention ruin any seals you might have not to mention warp something . please let us know what the solution to your problem was

Don't beat yourself up...I mistakenly left the engine down after cleaning the boat and tried to back down my driveway. It completely broke off my skeg and one blade of my prop. I missed 6 weeks of prime fishing time due to my error.

I would have the engine checked out by someone qualified to make sure you didn't damage any seals, etc that could cause you problems later on. Just my thoughts.

Cagrove is right....... You need to make sure that your lower unit seals are still good..... There are bolt on replacement skegs that you have to drill into the existing skew, but are cheaper and more robust then your existing one. More like a cover but will still work. If you try to bend it back you need to brace the flat side against a 2X6, use another piece of 2X6 against the skeg, and hit that piece to flatten back out the bent part. This will take some MoJo so don't be scared..... Post some Pics of the damage

john f,
I'm sorry to hear about your lower unit.We have all been there; done that. If you file the prop down you may loose performance and feel some vibration when you're running your boat. I would let a prop shop reshape it or get a new one.Save the old one for a spare. You may also feel some vibration from your lower unit if you damaged it.I mentioned that because your prop may be causing a vibration and you spend money trying to fix the lower unit when its the prop causing the problem.I would check the lower unit fluid after your next trip and make sure no water has turned the oil a milky color.Good luck.Hopefully no damage was done. Let us know the outcome.
John D.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and for re-assuring me that I am not alone in my moment of stupidity. I plan on taking the boat out this weekend for a good check. The prop knicks are small and I'm sure that just a bit of filing will do the trick. Checking the lower unit fluids for a cloudy or milky colour (excuse the "u", I'm Canadian) will be on my list. I will report back to all on Monday, or Tuesday if the weather holds and the walleye are biting! Thanks again.

I was able to get a better look at the prop knicks and bent skeg this past weekend. The bend in the skeg is not bad at all - I guess being so mad at myself blurred my vision as I stomped around at the ramp! The knicks in the prop cleaned-up with a minimal amount of filing-I plan on asking Santa for a stainless prop this Christmas and will retire the knicked one as a spare. A check of the lower unit revealed no evidence of water or contamination. All in all a lesson learned without a hefty price to pay. Thanks to all once again.

Be careful when bending aluminum. It doesn't like to be bent too many times before breaking. Check with your dealer first.

Back