Need new leaf springs

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
Dick, I think it is time to replace my leaf springs on my MagicTilt trailer. I would rather err on the side of stronger springs than something rated too close to my boat wt/motor wt.(@500lbs + bay 190) to account for 39 gallons of gas, gear, ttop, aluminum trailer, 2 ice chests full of ice, drinks and hopefully fish (78qt & 150qt) What would be a good rating to go with and what would be the disadvantages of a stiffer spring? Springs are rated individually so you just add the two ratings together, right?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

ps let me know if you have the springs in stock or if you need more info

Emery

Emery, Springs can be to stiff and will not let the trailer ride the road. When changing springs try to estimate the total weight of the package including the trailer and add 10% then round the total to the nearest spring size available. The tag on the trailer will give you some idea of what came from the factory. We also keep tires at the max tire pressure to take advantage of the full tire rating and to help keep them from cupping. Give us a call @
919-732-7377 if we can help.

Dick

Thanks, Dick
I'll check things out over Christmas weekend and try to add up all the weight I seem to be putting on the trailer.
Merry Christmas

For a Bay 190 (1800)+ Suzuki DF140/oil(485) + T-top/e box/misc (150)+ anchor/rode/5 batteries(200) + 39 gals fuel (234)+ 70qt ice chest 1/3 full (50) + 120 qt ice chest 1/3 full (90)+ RipTide 101 plus mount (80) + AL trailer not wheels or axle (300)+ misc gear/stuff (200) = grand total 3,589 lbs + 10% = 3,948 1bs.

Now, if anything looks incorrect, it can't be for much. I bet the leaf springs currently on the trailer are 1800lbs x 2 rated hence 3600lbs.
If I took off the large cooler, RipTide, and 120 lbs of misc we are to: 3629lbs with 10%. Already had a bend axle which toasted two good tires.

Looks like 2000lbs springs would be best.

I would also look into the "spring rates" of the replacement springs (if possible) or it may bounce like a tennis ball over bumps if the spring rates are too high... Lastly you might want to consider a upgrade to a torsion bar axle http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles if one can be retrofitted to your trailer?

After getting mine and towing with that system (Magic Tilt like yours) I will never go back to another leaf spring trailer again. This for it tracks as smooth as "Snakes on Glass" and stays right behind my truck even in heavy cross winds.

Dave

I am sure that is better than leaf springs and next time I bend an axle, I might just do that. Honestly, wish I had dual torsion bar axles, disc brakes and oil bath bearings.

Sounds like a winner, but the second axle can make it a pain (been there, done that) to pivot the boat at those tight ramps. When you drop in the new springs, get the tires balanced and you will have a lot less vibration and pull against the bearings (less heat, less chance of failure) at the same time :)

Now Magic tilt is not all that far down the road from me, and if you need me to swing by and get some information from them, just let me know buddy ;)

Dave

Thanks Dave, so far since I replaced my tires/wheels/rotors/axel upgrades "at cost" from MT(@$150), everthing seems just right. I just feel that everything that has been added onto the boat plus 10% easily puts it past the original wt and so easy and cheap to replace those leaf springs. Enjoy your Holiday fishing down there, Emery

Back