New Garmin 541s Installation with NMEA 2000

NYHarleyFisher

Contributing Member
City
Zephyrhills
Well yesterday I finally received all the parts I needed to complete the install of my new electronics:D Had to buy all new due to the fact the some scumbag decided he needed my stuff worse than I did:mad: So since I had to put new stuff in I figured I might as well go NMEA 2000 as well.
The hardest part of the install was the Lowrance interface cable down through the engine harness, once that was done all the rest of the NMEA install was quick and easy:cool:
Now I have all sorts of info on my GPS/Sounder, I have to play with it to figure out all that I currently have and make sure I have all the gauges configured properly. I'll try to get some pics within the next couple of weeks posted of the screen showing the different gauges and engine info.:D

I'll be very interested in you installation. I just got a 541s from West Marine and will be installing on our new 215cc when we pick it up in April. I'm not sure if I'll do the NMEA part of the installation with our eTec engine, or just use it as a chartplotter and sounder.

KennyD, unless you have all the commandlink digital gauges on your new boat (which will display all your info) I would highly recommend that you install the NMEA 2000 network. All you need is the NMEA 2000 starter kit which you can get from West Marine and always make sure you do a price match. Mine was $65.00 because I found a retailer online that sells it for that price! you need 1 extra Garmin Tee Connector found on ebay for $9.00 (free shipping) and the Lowrance interface cable again from West Marine or any online retailer best price, mine was $49.99. Installation is simple because everyting is plugin, no cables to splice. Just 2 ring connectors to put on the power cord for the buss bars. Attached is a link for engine compatability and the cable you would need. http://www.blueheronmarine.com/files/Lowrance_Engine_Interfaces.pdf

Thanks for your info. It seems like it might be in the range of my capabilities. I looked at the engine owner's manual but it doesn't give any hints on how to connect NMEA to it. Does the starter kit contain any actual connection instructions or do you just Tee off of the existing gauges? I have 4 months to get the specifics and parts together, but your post sounds very promising. It also looks like working on the console of the 215 will be a lot easier than it was on my old 1700cc. Let me know if you have any snags with your install, and how you like the setup. With the same boat and chartplotter, I really look foward to hearing how you makeout with it. Thanks again. Merry Christmas!

Back