New: the Recipe forum

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
My New Year's resolution is to "eat more fish" so for New Year's Eve, I broke out the deep fryer and the grill. I had some Gulf shrimp and Mahi mahi and some hopefully now safe to eat LA oysters.

Wigger Shrimp
peel your large or jumbo shrimp and add a slice of jalepeno, scallion and a chunk of Mahi (or crab, etc) with some blackening seasoning then wrap in some thick country style bacon and pin with a toothpik. Cook on a grill about 5 min each side or until bacon is done.

Fried Food
I like to fry food starting at the lowest temp food and progressing to potatoes lastly to "clean" the oil.
First are oysters (or shrimp). I use 2/3 buttermilk cornbread, 1/3 flour, seasonings and some buttermilk to wet the food prior to corn mealing.
Fry about 3 minutes.

Next, I add onion and buttermilk to the left over cornmeal/flour and make hushpuppies, fry them in a little hotter oil.
Last, with the oil all the way up, dump in the fries.

I use a stainless steel bowl lined with paper towels and a towel over the top to keep things warm and sequentially dump the food in there layer after layer and finally season with Tony Catchere's cajun seasoning.

Last night, I thawed out a speckle trout caught in this summer, skinned it (easy when frozen) and put it whole in a pan with lemon juice, butter, lemon/pepper and seasonings then put it in the smoker for a few hours with OJ and cilantro.
The shrimp got battered and fried this time and then the puppies, chicken strips and lastly fries.

It's nice to see my daughter eat seafood since anything fried is alright by her and eventually maybe I can get her into the non fried variety (shrimp are fair game any way prepared.....with plenty of katchup)!

Maybe we can start a cooking forum to get ideas on our cullinary hobbies?

Sounds awesome! I would like the cullinary forum as well.

My New Year's resolution is to "eat more fish" so for New Year's Eve, I broke out the deep fryer and the grill. I had some Gulf shrimp and Mahi mahi and some hopefully now safe to eat LA oysters.

Wigger Shrimp
peel your large or jumbo shrimp and add a slice of jalepeno, scallion and a chunk of Mahi (or crab, etc) with some blackening seasoning then wrap in some thick country style bacon and pin with a toothpik. Cook on a grill about 5 min each side or until bacon is done.

Fried Food
I like to fry food starting at the lowest temp food and progressing to potatoes lastly to "clean" the oil.
First are oysters (or shrimp). I use 2/3 buttermilk cornbread, 1/3 flour, seasonings and some buttermilk to wet the food prior to corn mealing.
Fry about 3 minutes.

Next, I add onion and buttermilk to the left over cornmeal/flour and make hushpuppies, fry them in a little hotter oil.
Last, with the oil all the way up, dump in the fries.

I use a stainless steel bowl lined with paper towels and a towel over the top to keep things warm and sequentially dump the food in there layer after layer and finally season with Tony Catchere's cajun seasoning.

Last night, I thawed out a speckle trout caught in this summer, skinned it (easy when frozen) and put it whole in a pan with lemon juice, butter, lemon/pepper and seasonings then put it in the smoker for a few hours with OJ and cilantro.
The shrimp got battered and fried this time and then the puppies, chicken strips and lastly fries.

It's nice to see my daughter eat seafood since anything fried is alright by her and eventually maybe I can get her into the non fried variety (shrimp are fair game any way prepared.....with plenty of katchup)!

Maybe we can start a cooking forum to get ideas on our cullinary hobbies?

We listen and I aim to please. :D
Recipes Forum
I am moving this thread to the new forum too. :)

Back