Not getting enough RPM

jeadkins

Registered Member
City
Leland
I am getting about 4500 to 4800 RPM on my 195CC at WOT, this should be about 5500-6000. So what I have noticed is when I push out of neutral it isn't that easy or smooth its kind of tough. Also when I push to WOT there is a binding feeling like i am being blocked or something. I have observed the engine throttle and shifter working back at the engine with not much trouble. Can anyone offer a suggestion, I want to adjust the 704 remote but also don't and cant find any information on that thing.

Thanks
Jack

Sounds like you have a problem with your cables and they need adjusting. I would not force them until you adjust them or have a dealer adjust them.I have a 150HP 4 stroke Yamaha on my 195CC and I get approx. 5800 rpms and the throttle is smooth. Good luck.
John

I assume you have actually had it to 5500-6000 rpm before??? If so, take the throttle cable loose from the engine and the make sure the cable moves freely. (if your not sure, remove the cable from the 704 binnacle end as well. The cable should move very easily.) Then check to see if the linkage on the engine moves smoothly from idle to max and opens completely. Then see if when the cable is connected at the 704 binnacle end and the lever at full throttle; the cable position should match the engine linkage position at full throttle. If not adjust the cable accordingly and reconnect. If you encounter binding in either the engine linkage or the binnacle, find the reason and correct it. If the cable is binding, replace it. With the shifter also being affected, I would suspect you have a 704 binnacle problem.

Cable & 704 ok

So I took advise ond did some analysis and found that the cable and 704 were all ok. I did find that on the engine throttle linkages that there was a problem with moving the throttle. I changes a screw that was accessible and made the movement smoother, maybe not easy. So now I am asking why this is and is there something I can do on that area. The throttle on the engine seems to be quite an elaborate linkage system, like a Mechanical Engineer had a field day.

Back