Over or under the bow roller?

tneut

Registered Member
City
Brandon
Hi All,
I'm a new owner of an 08 215CC. My question is should the bow eye and strap rest above or below the roller on the winch stand. On the EZ load trailer the center bunks are flush with transom, but the outer bunks are just shy of the transom when under the roller. I can't remember how it was secured at purchase, but a quick internet search seems to favor under for extra security with hard stops.
If it is supposed to be under, any harm with adjusting the winch stand forward about 2.5 inches? I don't think it would change the tongue weight much.
Thanks,
Trent
08 215 CC -Simply Indestructible

Welcome aboard Trent. The bow eye and strap should be under the roller. The winch stand should be adjusted so that the transom sits on the end of the bunks when the bow eye is snug up against the roller.

Thanks

Thanks NCangler,
I called the dealer and they agreed with under. I asked about the entire stern not being even with the bunks and he said that the trailer came from the factory as it is designed to be and as long as the center bunks are even, not to adjust the trailer as that could effect my warranty.
Trent
08 215 CC -Simply Indestructible

I checked with Triumph on the bunks alignment:
The entire hull should be supported at the transom if the bunks are not even then I would rather see a little bunk extending beyond the transom than the boat extending beyond the bunks.

Bunks

Hi Tneut,

Congrats on the boat. Enjoy!

I've noticed that when I drive (and pull) the boat back on the trailer, the boat hangs about an inch over the bunks even though the bow seems snug on the roller. I don't like to pull too hard on the bow eye for fear of breaking something. When I pull the trailer out of the ramp and take a quick shot down the parking lot, the boat seems to creep forward a bit and the bunks then extend about an inch past the transom.

Moving the roller back even an inch will make a big weight change. Use a scale on the tongue jack. Measure before and after. Tongue weight should be about 10% of tow weight. My boat with motor, fuel and trailer is perhaps 1,800 lbs. In theory, I should have about 180 lbs on the ball of my truck.

Thanks and still puzled a bit.

Thanks NCangler and BarryB,
I will measure the bunks next trip. If the bunks are correct, then I'll take a look at moving the winch stand about 2" forward. I read the manual again and Triumph seems pretty clear about the position though the dealer is sure it is rigged right. While on the phone with me he said he was looking out his window at four 215's that had the same trailer/boat alignment - that only the center bunks were flush and the outboard bunks were just shy of flush.
Just reviewed the bunk layout from Triumph ( Thanks NC) and then looked at my boat and the front bow support (C) has about a 1/4" gap between the boat and plastic pad. I had originally assumed this was a pad for protection while loading and not an actual "support". Is it actually supposed to rest on the pad?
Thanks
Trent

My 215 is resting on that pad. Not sure how much it is resting on it weight wise but it is definitely touching.

tueut my 215 is resting on the front pad too. when i frist got my boat from the dealer the hull was just off the back bunks about 2 in. i moved the winch stand up about 3 in. and that fixed it. i think that the outside bunkes are flush with the hull and the inside ones are about 1 in. over the hull now. if you move the winch stand up and the boat still does not touch the front pad you might need to lower the winch itself a little. i also striped out my winch handle when i frist got the boat from tighting it up to much so watch out for that too. hope this helps

Back