Problems again with my kicker motor

nymart

Participating Member
City
Phillipsburg
Well it seems that I have a new problem on my 9.9 kicker motor. Had it out for the first time yesterday and sometimes it doesn't want to engage when I move the throttle forward. It revs up but the propellor isn't spinning like I'm still in neutral. If I back down and put it in reverse, it engages and then if I go back to forward it usually stays engaged, but once I shut off the engine, restart in neutral and try to go forward again, it seems to stay in neutral. Any ideas? P.S. I just did an oil change and changed my gear oil as well...could that have done anything?

Shifty

With the engine off and tilted up, you should see the shift rod. It is a skinny rod sometimes painted the same color as the engine and is positioned vertically from the powerhead and runs to the lower unit. If you shift from N to F or R, you should see the rod turn. If the rod turns, that means the shift handle is working, however, it could be a bit out of adjustment, not quite making the shift.

The shift rod moves devices in the lower unit that eventually moves the clutch dog. The dog is the device you hear and feel when it engages the forward or reverse gear.

If it's not a simple adjustment in the shift mechanism, leave the work to a qualified marine mechanic.

BTW, Just changing the lower unit oil should not make a difference, it's just oil.

Hope this helps.

p.s. This is a good reason to purchase the service manual for your engines, even if you don't work on the motors.

Thanks Barry...I'll take a look when I get home....just hate to have to take it back to the shop as it spent a few weeks (and a few hundred dollars) there last season getting a new carb.

Back