problems with Yamaha 150 throttle

F

fran35

Gents,
I bought a 2005 210 last year with a 150 Yamaha HPDI. Since I have had it, the throttle is extremely sticky and it is hard to find neutral as well. I asked the dealer in passing about this once and he said that they were all like this. Well, I recently took a job that requires me to be operating a boat every day(LEO) and I am seeing that my throttle is extremely tight and very awkward. So much so that I think it may be a safet concern. I know I have read about others having similar problems and was wondering about possible remedies. I have already loosened with the tension screw under the throttle, and that does not help. does anyone think that this may be a warranty issue?

OK so I am going to buy the upgrade cables. (the boat is one year old last week and the cables have been tight since day one....the dealer(Heartland Marine) said it was normal) I am sick of wrenching the throttles and my wife has major issues with it when she operates it, not to mention all of my friends laughing at me when I tell them the "dealer said it was normal". Anyway, what length cables do I need to purchase? Any brands better than the other?

this does not sound right to me at all! I have a 2003 Yamaha HPDI and my throttle is very smooth, in fact it slips a bit at times and I need to keep a hand on it often to keep it from dropping down in rough conditions (almost always). definitely check with another Yamaha dealer for a second opinion on this!!

shouldn't matter what kind of Yamaha it is, the throttle should be the same.

Fishahn said:
this does not sound right to me at all! I have a 2003 Yamaha HPDI and my throttle is very smooth, in fact it slips a bit at times and I need to keep a hand on it often to keep it from dropping down in rough conditions (almost always). definitely check with another Yamaha dealer for a second opinion on this!!

shouldn't matter what kind of Yamaha it is, the throttle should be the same.

It is not a "type" of engine related problem, it is a installed cable quality and routing issue. The condition of your cables was / is in better shape or routed different than on my old 210 and mine (as I denoted in the other thread) finally bound up so tight they would not move. This though has happened to others and my boat was only 6 months old when it happened from what I can recall... After the cable replacement / upgrade they worked as smooth as glass just like my present 190 system and that is why I made sure the higher quality cables were installed on the new boat "before" I even took it home...

A throttle friction screw adjustment in your present shifter housing though can correct your falling throttle condition in short order ;)

Had the same problem with my 2006 150 on a 215. Asked the dealer about it after reading this thread. They said the throttle should operatr smoothly and replaced the cables. Big improvement. Thanks everyone for the info.

Back