Throttle Lever Resistance

spanfang

Registered Member
City
Mahtomedi
I had my 2004 210 CLE (200 Yamaha HPDI) out for the first time since winter storage and noticed a significant amount of resistance in the throttle lever. It seemed to loosen up a little bit over the course of the trip, but in general it still feels much tighter than it did at the end of the season last year. Does anyone have any tips? Are there specific lubrication requirements? I checked my Yamaha owners manual and could not find any information regarding throttle cable lubrication. I did find some information regarding a throttle friction control screw but haven't tried to adjust that because the friction seems to be at the engine and not the throttle lever.

I would first play with the friction control screw. Second, look under the cowl at the point where the cables are connected to the throttle control. Are they greased? Does the control look corroded? Third, inspect the cables for kinks - especially right outside at where the cables enter the cowling.

If nothing turns up from the above, then I guess you'll need to disconnect the cables at the motor and see if the forward and reverse frees-up. If not, you'll likely know that the problem is not at the motor and likely with either the cables or the control box at the helm. This is the point where I would be calling the dealer for help.

I have the same problem with my 2002 with the merc 115 . Dealer told me that they all are that way. i still find that hard to believe, but i also can not find nothing wrong. I just tell all deck hands to hold on anytime i have to throttle up, so they do not get thrown to the deck...LOL

I had the same engine combo on my 03 210 and my cables failed and bound up tight. Come to find out, that the factory used some (as reported back to me :confused: ) some low grade aftermarket gray houseing (Non-Yamaha) thottle cables that I had replaced under warranty with the blue housing (I belive) Telefex Prem. cables that one can tie into a knot (all that Honda uses which I now have) and they will still work...

Be careful of that friction nut adjustment though. Now the Coast Guard wants the thottle to fall in case you get pitched out of the boat. I do not fully agree with that theory since I will blast though a pass in some pretty heavy sea states and would much rather have both hands on the helm and NOT loose power (which can be a bad thing) when plowing through the surf or having a wave drop out from under the boat. Oh and by the way, the Coast Guard 25 years ago (yours truly at the time) did not set "our" thottle cables that way for the very same reason ;) so use your best judgement. I feel as long as you have the kill switch attached you are just (if not more) safe...

I also had the same problem on by 2004 21' CLE.Went back to my dealer
(Adams & Durvin) who by the way have always treated me right payed the difference in price of the stock cables vers Telefex Prem. no labor charge due to still under warranty,problem solved.

Regards,
CHESBAYVA

Funny I was at the dealers lately, mentioned again about the cables. They again told me it is due to the bend at the center counsil, and the way to fix it would be longer cables...or a upgrade type of cable....YOU WOULD THINK if they know this...then why sell such a poor system/.!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Finally! Proper throttle and shift performance...

The throttle and shifting on my 03 210 with Honda 130 was poor right out of the box. My dealer told me it was normal. It is not.
I had the cables replaced last year with teleflex standard cables (what the boat came with). No change. I just installed teleflex TFXtreme cables purchased from Overton's for $57 apiece. They perform just as you would expect. Now no more straining to do simple docking maneuvers. Slides in and out of gear perfectly.
Strange how smooth shifting makes sliding up to the dock a snap!
Flychukar

A final follow-up here. I ended up disassembling the the cables from the binnacle and the engine. I have the cables a quick once over (no visual issues identified), applied some spray silicone lube, reassembled and Voila!, no more resistance. However, I may still go with the higher quality cables. Might be a good winter project.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back