Adjusting Tension on the throttle with a Yamaha 150

Pescador

Registered Member
City
Loveland
I have a 215 with the Yamaha 150 and the factory adjustment on the throttle is too loose. Anyone have an idea where the adjustment is. I live in Mexico so the dealer is out of the question.

I checked with the factory on this for you and here was their reply:
At the base of the binnacle control there should be an oval plug that once removed shows an adjustment screw.

Plug as noted by factory under side of black throttle body. Righty tighty to increase tension .Suggest trial an/ error on water Straight bladed screw driver (medium) It will take several turns to increase tension enough so that throttle position will maintain at set position especially in bouncy water.
Al

Throttle adjustment for 215 with Yamaha 150

Ok, I got several posts, but I still do not have an answer. How do you tighten the throttle adjustment for a Yamaha control. I pulled the rubber plug from the center of the gear release and there were three screws there but that gave me access to nothing. Do I need to remove the binnacle cover to get to the adjustment, or can I come in through the center console?

Pescador,
If I remember right from my 190 Bay the screw in the center of the three is the one that tightens or loosens the friction on the throttle lever so that it doesn't drop back when you are running while on plane. I know my 190 Bay was always doing that and I used to have to re-adjust that screw all the time to tighten the throttle friction to hold the lever tight so I didn't have to keep my hand on it. I hope that was what you were asking about.

I pulled the black plastic plug from the center of the throttle / gearshift control. Under that is a metal plate with two screws on each side of the black gearshift disengager. When I tighten or loosen those screws, nothing changes. I think that these simply attach the plate which covers the gears in that area. Dead center is a black plastic push rod that disengages the gear shift and lets the throttle only function. The cover of the whole unit is attached to the center console and I do not see how to get that cover off. When I look at the whole unit which sticks through the center console, there is a 8 inch or so unit that has one electrical wire and two cables protruding. The black plastic cover does have three screws. Is one of those an adjustment screw?

Last edited:
Take the cover off (not all the way just make it where you can pull it up out of your way and don't worry about trying to lift it over the handle) on your 704 binnacle which is the model most are equipped with. And you should see the set / tension screw right near the center of the actual throttle down inside ;)

I have to adjust mine on the Honda today and though slightly different, I will grab a picture for you if you cannot find a blow up of it on the Internet?

*** Fishing Lesson ;) ***
You know, you do have access (even in Mexico) to Google.com ;) and can pull these type of searches quite quickly by using the keyword search of "Yamaha Outboard throttle cable adjustment" or "Yamaha 704 Binnacle" or even using the actual part number of the Binnacle stamped on the side and more than likely find either the instructions somebody has "already" posted with picture or a part blow up.

;) Just use either the image or video or web search feature (cycle back and forth) to help narrow it down. Will more than likely take me longer to type up this "Fishing Lesson" than actually find something :cool:

Here is what I found the Binnacle....

Step 1: Remove the 4 screws holding the black cover down. This is true for a single control as well as dual controls. Two on the front and two are aft. Some of you saltwater guys may have a hard time getting these off from corrosion. Try tightening them first, then loosen. Work them back and forth since they snap easily.*Make sure you anti-seize or grease them when installing.

get-photo.asp

Step 2:* There are four small dimple type pins Yamaha uses as a secondary cover holding method. Getting the cover to pop up is the hardest part of the hole procedure. You can kind of see them in this picture and there are four of them:

get-photo.asp

You will need to pry the cover off of them. Dont try pushing the dimple's*in as it does nothing. The cover must be pryed off. You can also try putting some masking tape down if you have a painted helm to protect it from the prying device:

get-photo.asp

Step 3:* The cover can now be lifted off forward to expose the adjustment screws. Turn them in(clockwise) to apply more friction to hold the handles from slipping back. Go out to make them move easier. Do not try to put it into gear when testing if the engine is not running. Push the neutral button in on the side of the handle*to move the throttle handle forward for checking. Sometimes I will go out and run the boat to make sure its the correct friction setting before putting it back together.

get-photo.asp

Step 4: After you are done adjusting, install the cover and push down until you hear the dimples snap back in place. Put some lube on the screws and tighten them. Pretty simple. The hardest part of the hole job is getting the screws out if they are corroded and prying up the cover up*without screwing up your helm.

Pescador,
Maybe this will help you better than the other instructions.Lay on your back on the deck of your boat underneath your throttle control.Look up at the bottom of your control.You will see a rubber plug.Pull that loose.You will see a screw. Take a standard screwdriver and slowly tighten it until you reach the desired setting.It works better if you take the screwdriver with you while running the boat. Turn it a little at the time.Run it a few minutes. Tighten as needed. Good luck.
John D

Thank all of you for all the great help. I loosened up the screws holding the black plastic binnacle cover on to the center console and it was then that I found the plug in the bottom of the thing. Actually very easy to access and get to if I had just started there as Fridaysoff had suggested. Sure enough that is where the tension screw is located. It was so loose that it was not even touching and was just kind of laying there. So Tuesday when I go out I will do final adjustment.
It was interesting to note that the factory had only put nuts on two of the four screws that hold the cover in place.
So I got that fixed too.

Good job guys, i am impressed with the knowledge all our Triumph owners have. You can't beat the Triumph owners family network here. Let us know if you have any questions. Have a great day.

Back