Honda throttle tension

djnolan

Contributing Member
City
Herndon
I recently had the throttle cables replaced on my Honda BF130 and when running on a plane the speed gradually drops off, like the throttle position is slipping.

Is there a way to adjust the tension on the throttle lever or cables so it keeps a steady or constant throttle position?

Inside the binnacle there is a friction adjustment to set the tension of the throttle. :cool:

The Binnacle, I should have known! Now all I have to do is get past the corroded screws to access it.

Now I remember, trying to remove the binnacle cover once in the past and couldn't get the screws loose due to corrosion. I have a couple places on the boat where bolts are frozen to the backing plate. The binnacle cover, the cooler seat lid and others I am sure will come up. I wonder what material Triumph (and Honda or Todd) used for backing plates and screws. And if there is a technique to getting these screws out?

Last edited:
To answer my own question, if you can get to the back of the backing plate where the screw protrudes and clean off the corrosion with some penetrating oil and a wire brush the screw should be fairly easy to remove. Otherwise the corrosion will act like a lock nut and the screw will be very difficult to remove without snapping it off.

If you can't get to the back of the backing plate, what then?

Back