throttle issue

harrish2

Registered Member
City
Atlanta
I have a 17 cc with a 75 HP Honda four stroke. A few times last year, I had an issue with the acceleration of the engine. This issue has happened a couple of times recently as well, but a little more often. The issue is that I will push the throttle to full speed, and for some reason, I will only go to about 66% of full power. This might happen a couple of times during the beginning of a trip and then go away. Anyone have an idea of what the problem could be (assuming I gave enough information)? Thanks.

Need more info Harrish. Is it carb or fuel injuected? Take the cowling off and watch the cable slips back any after pushing the throttle to full. Make sure if it is carb that the choke is off. Check your fuel filters for clogging. The fuel strainer on the engine as well, if it has one. Make sure you have all the water drained from your fuel filter/seperator.
I'm sure others will add some more.

Sounds like water in the fuel however; I went through the same issue on my BF 150 while under warranty before we discovered it had gotten a defective (talk about rare) set of NGK spark plugs. Then we had to upgrade those plugs (issue still present at times) that were of a hotter heat range which did the trick. The running of Hotter heat range plugs is of no issue for me since I all run is High Octane Fuel in my engine.

I would also check all the engine grounds to make sure they are both clean and snug and well as check the resistance on the plug wires "after" the engine has warmed up while running on the hose for a while. You may find a plug wire that is breaking down under heat and load that checking with a meter when they are cold many not find. If you find one over 10 ohms, I would just replace the set for if one is breaking down, the rest may not be far behind ;)

Thanks guys. By the way, it is carb 4 stroke.

What is strange is that I just took it in for a yearly service to a Honda dealer. Wouldn't they notice if it was an issue with spark plugs or something else on the engine? Maybe I am giving them too much credit?

By the way, I also wanted to mention that I don't have a fuel/water seperater. However, I do use Stabill and don't go to ethanol gas stations. Finally, it seems that the I can get the RPM's up very high when in neutral, just not when the engine is in gear.

harrish2,
You really need to consider installing that fuel/water separator filter while you trying to solve your throttle issue. Its very cheap insurance.

I agree with fridaysoff.

Thanks for the responses guys. Seems that the consensus is water in the fuel. If that is the case, it amazes me that a fuel/water separater is not standard equipment.

Gunk

Could be gunk moving about in the float bowls. You can look for a drain plug (if your engine has one) somewhere at the bottom of the float bowl on each carb. Remove the plug and drain the fuel in a clean glass. Look for debris, water, etc.

If your fuel pump is not suppling enough fuel at WOT, that will cause your starvation problem.

An engine under load is not the same as in neutral. You can wind up an engine at part throttle in neutral, but need full throttle when under load.

Just some thoughts.

Back