Alarm Woes

Lostboard7

Registered Member
State
NC
Hello All,

I have had my 2003 Triumph 170CC with factory Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke for about 5 months now and I have had an intermittent warning buzzer at random times. So backstory:

I can run it all day with no issues, and 5 minutes into the next day it could go off. It mostly goes off when I'm at low speeds coming off plane (sounds like a poppet valve) but once has happened at plane and the governor kicked in. Typically I'll turn it off and let it sit, sometimes for as little as 1-2 minutes and start it back up with no issues and run the rest of the day, sometimes it just wont go away for a while. At first I thought it was the overheat alarm, so i started out by replacing the whole water pump kit, thermostat, poppet valve, flushed the engine with on-off etc. with no avail. I can touch my hand to each cylinder when the alarm is going off, although I bought an infrared thermometer that will be here tomorrow so I can verify without a doubt.

That being said, it still doesn't explain how it will be fine all day and give me problems right away the very next day. Then last week I went to start the boat but when I turned-key nothing even remotely attempted to fire/turn over, so after 5-6 tries it finally kicks over with no problems at all. As soon as I get up on plane (-1min later) the alarm goes off and governor kicks in. Could this be electrical? Would the ignition or throttle not getting 12V cause the buzzer to sound? This has been very hard to troubleshoot since nothing in particular will make the alarm go off, it just happens randomly.

Other info:
- I always make sure I have proper oil levels and it does burn oil
- Since I use it a good amount I have been using non-marine grade gas on the notion that I have friends who do the same without any problems

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Could it be an impeller in need of replacement?

I have replaced the impeller :(

It might also help to know that when the alarm comes on and i kill the motor, turning the ignition to "on" and not starting the motor will cause the alarm to sound even with the motor still off. I usually do this a couple of times before the alarm doesn't sound and i can start the motor with no issues or alarm.

Water pump?

Oh saw you already did that. :)

I am no 2 stroke expert, so can't help there.

However, a few things to check, in general, would be battery condition, wiring terminals and connections (throughout the boat), on-board fuel filter water separator and electrical connections at engine sensors. If it's running good and does this intermittently, or irregularly, it may be a loose connection, a low voltage environment, a bad ground issue. Those seemingly minor things can cause fits.

I once had a faulty water sensor in my on-board fuel filter water separator and it threw codes and alarms. FINALLY found the fault was a bad water sensor connection. It would shut me down to limp mode. A restart and everything was fine, until it reappeared randomly.

Chased that ghost forever....

Back