Suzuki,Yamaha, Bombardier, or Honda

fishfinder88

Registered Member
Hello to all, after a recent rough, wet outing in the Indian River Inlet in our 14 foot bass style boat we've decided we need a bigger boat. I've been doing alot of research in the past month regarding CC boats, looking at Sea Fox and Triumph. I love the toughness of the Triumph, and feel it is the safest boat for our family (11 & 13 yr olds, my wife and I). Just a couple of questions, I'm sure there will be more to follow. Which manufacterer of outboard would you reccomend out of the ones listed above? Also, how can Sea Fox get away with putting a 115 hp outboard on its 17' CC that only seats 5 passengers? Triumph's CC is the same length, seats 6 and has a 75 hp max, thanks.

We have a suzuki 140 and have had no problems what so ever. It is very quiet and is pretty fuel efficient. As far as Sea Fox putting a 115 on their 17' CC is probably because it is built different.

my 75hp etech has been great, no service for 3 years or 300 hrs, and it is lots of power for my 2006 170cc.

Welcome to the web site fishfinder88.

Of the manufacturers you listed, I really think it is a matter of personal preference.

While most owners have nothing but good experiences, there is probably a lemon or two out there. To me, my question would be more about service. Some Triumph dealers might specialize in one motor manufacturer. If that is where you are buying the boat and where you plan on going for service, why go with a brand of motor they do not work on as often.

When we got to the motor deciding time, we went to the web sites of the manufacturers we were considering and found out how many dealers there were in the area, how close they were to us, etc. In our case, there were a number of Yamaha dealers / service locations close to us, but very few of some other manufacturers. Where we go for service now is a 5 mile tow, with another brand it would have been a minimum of a 30 mile tow.

Please try the "Search" feature at the top of the page. It really does work and can help you find a lot of information. Also, the "Articles" section has some things you might find worthwhile.

Good luck in your search, and again, welcome.

Also, how can Sea Fox get away with putting a 115 hp outboard on its 17' CC that only seats 5 passengers? Triumph's CC is the same length, seats 6 and has a 75 hp max, thanks.

As per the Coast Guard web site which is a shock to some anytime I post this so send your hate mail to the USCG and not me since I am just a CG Vet and not on active duty anymore ;)

Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?
It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this. There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat. NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.

The above quote is from this web site http://www.uscgboating.org/about/faqs/regulations.aspx

More information in build and loading of small boats and those guidelines for building them can be found here... http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/index.htm

As far as the Seafox goes, I think you will find that it is both wider (beam) and has more surface area in the water than the Triumph and as such, you can spread out the weight greater of the higher HP engine as well as need it to move that hull through the water.

As far as the needs you stated, I feel you would be much happier in a 190 Bay for fishing in that area :cool:

Hope this helps?

Back