Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Finally got all the meat of our two Coastal Black Tail deer processed. Several cuts and almost 30 vacuum seal bags of ground meat, just over two pounds each.

We grind the deer 2/3 deer with 1/3 bacon (by weight). We grind them together twice. It makes for a very fine ground meat resembling fine ground beef. The bacon adds appropriate fat and flavor. Best burgers ever. Just sayin'!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_164444.jpg
    IMG_20190927_164444.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
After hanging the cleaned deer overnight, we'll bone out the meat into a cooler and let it sit 5 days. I like to use stainless steel pots inside a large ice chest filled with ice. The meat goes into the stainless pots so it does no sit in the melting ice. Once the pots are filled, we put a layer of cling wrap over the top of the meat and wait 5 days.

On the end of the 5th day, we process the meat into ground meat and cuts. Again, for the grind we use 2/3 deer to 1/3 bacon (by weight) and grind them together twice. It's ready to go on the grill or whatever at that point.

Nothing like these alfalfa and grass fed coastal deer. They live where our organic grass fed beef and dairy cows live. These are not wild game flavored. These are very, very mild.

We also can some. You're probably saying "You do what?!"

Mrs. Offshoreman will take cubed deer, cleaned of all fat and connective tissues and can it with a teaspoon of a local salt and pepper mix (sold locally here) and after an hour and 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, it comes out looking like death. It really looks rather awful. But pour out the contents and you have shredded venison for tacos or whatever dish where you would use shredded beef or pork. I'm telling you it sounds like a bad idea, but is wonderful. A friend came over Thursday and had a taco and thought it was beef. He was amazed when we told him what it was. He took a jar home with him....

Attachments

• canned deer.jpg
    canned deer.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
That mix sounds very good. However, you should try it with Indiana corn fed white tail. One of my fellow K9 handlers used to bring some in every season. even the steaks were good. The jerky was excellent.

I imagine it is. That sounds very good.

Back