rpm question

Holmes

Participating Member
City
York
have 03 ox66 salt water series, sx150b
question is, does the computer limit the rpm at 5500?
reason i ask is that with 2 people it runs the same speed as 5 people. 40-45 at 5500

Can the ECU help prevent a over speed condation yes, at that low of a RPM? I doubt it for a 2 stroke V6...

The prop pitch is more than likely too tall and needs to be backed off some to regain some of your lost top end RPM. Go on the Yamaha web page and pull down the online owners manual for that model year engine and see what it stated as the recommended RPM range. I think you will find it should run in the 6000 to 6500 range which is standard for most V6 engines ;)

Holmes,
Make sure your throtlle cable is adjusted properly to allow WOT. Someone may have replaced the cable at some point and it may need tweaking. Thats where I would start and then look at the prop pitch.
John D.

i have manual it says range is 4500-5500.
that is all it will turn loaded or unloaded. just wondering if it had a rpm limiter in the computer?
only has 16 pitch prop. for slow trolling.

Most ECU's limit engine RPM by shutting down injectors and when you bounce up against the RPM limiter, it can feel quite violent. What you have is a an engine that is running full bore and then the ECU starts shutting down injectors and it feels like a engine miss (which it is) and feels like somebody is back their pulling off plug wires.

If you do not feel this banging and dropping of cylinders when running at 5500 RPM then I doubt the ECU is casuing this and your prop just has this engine limited (by design) by load only. Prop pitch is one way to limit engine speed, prop diameter, number of blades, prop material all have an effect on how fast an engine can run at WOT but if designed / recomended to run at 5500 and that is what you are getting, then I would be happy. This unless you are suffering at some other performace aspect that you would like to improve such as range or time to plane?

perfomance wise eveything is fine i was just woundering about if it had a rpm limiter or not.

Back