Scary moment on 190 Bay

C

cheekymonkey

Didn't listen to the Small Craft advisory and went out fishing anyway today in 20+ winds and 3-4ft seas close to the coast of Virginia Beach. Boat did great, that was until I turned into the wind while going over a wave at about 15 knots. Steep wave + Speed + 30 knot head wind = airborne bow. Another few knots of speed and I would have flipped. Having a 150 Yamaha 4-Stoke on the back didn't help the balance. Scared the stuff out of me !!! Fortunately, no damage except to my knee when I landed and I spilt my Diet Coke.

The waves were fine when going with them, but an evil biatch when going against them. Thankfully a guy in a 27' Grady led me back to calmer water by letting me ride his wash. Wished I had a deeper hull for the first time since I had this boat.

I have fished similar sized waves with no problem, the wind put me over my comfort limits this time.

Paul

Yeah - I learned the hard way as well that the 190 can handle 4ft chop at 5-10 knots, not 15-20. You talk about SLAM!!! I got caught in a noreaster/gale that snuck up on me this past September. I was only two miles out, but the weather changed almost instantly with no time to get back. The temp dropped 15 degrees and the wind went from 10 knots to 40 with white-out rain coming down sideways. Everything got soaked. The only way back was by retracing my tracks that morning per my Garmin GPS unit. Kinda the long-way home but couldn't risk hitting rocks, etc. Never again will I be so stupid. Just not worth it.

Back