nocturn

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
Anyone use one? My 07 150's skeg is starting to get a little haggard from river work. It's not dinged up but there are signs of the stem getting borked a few times. That and I just primed and painted it a few weeks ago from a hard ground last year. This is what I'm looking at...Screenshot_20200727-162722_Amazon Shopping.jpg

My advice is don't! Bolt that thing onto your skeg and operate it in saltwater for a while and watch how your skeg rots away. Hard to rinse, hard to clean, overall not a good idea. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to pass on it. Yeah, I was thinking about unseen corrosion. Didn't cross my mind that performance would suffer.

Dave- Its not that bad, compared to yours. There were a couple electrolysis pits, which I filled with that aluminum bondo leftover from the stab plate. That and a few small dings on the stem. I just hot pressed those back into a reasonable shape and filed those down a bit. No real material removed.

I beached her last year at wot on a new sandbar in the James. Friggn rivers man, you never know what the next year brings. I almost ate the console.. Luckily the tide was low and incoming so I was able to float her after 2 hours. Completely stripped the skeg down to clean metal.

Thanks again guys.

Skegs and alum props are cheap to repair at a good shop.

I've used the Skegguard brand on several different motors, first when I ran daily trips for a research institution (U VA) to the barrier islands of the Virginia Eastern Shore and later on a personal boat. They work well, do not create any noticable drag and I never noticed any corrosion of the motor's skeg after it was installed and used for 4-5 years in full strength salt water. I never pulled it off because there was no reason to, so maybe there was corrosion I never saw, but it never caused an issue. The original motor I used it on was a Honda 90 that was eventually retired with 10 years of semi-commercial service and nearly 2000 hours on the engine. About half that time was running it with a Skegguard.
I was impressed enough with it that I later put one on my personal boat.

I've also got a Skegguard. Been on top of my Suzuki DF150 (partial) skeg for a number of years. I know there's no appreciable drag involved, prop slip calculates out to only 6%.

I've also got a Skegguard. Been on top of my Suzuki DF150 (partial) skeg for a number of years. I know there's no appreciable drag involved, prop slip calculates out to only 6%.

Stock OEM lower units with stock skegs will get a better fit I agree...

Aftermarket lower units upgrades (like a BMS with lower water pick up) as I had, it simply did not work as well (see below). Then again, any surface defects in the skeg can and will add air going over the prop can add some slippage, much worse when it does not fit as well as you can see in the picture and the 1 inch or so gap in the rear of the skeg guard, leading to the prop.

PDR_0047.JPG

Only an improvement in steering because a little of the original skeg had been broken off and the SkegGuard made it whole again. Runs just like an undamaged outboard after the SkegGuard is installed.

Back