k9reno

Recognized Leader and K9 Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Punta Gorda
State
Florida
Hello all. Long time since I have posted anything here, but since I am getting ready to retire in 865 days and move to my lot in FL I am updating my 210. I am having issues with my stereo. The Main fuse (15A 250V) in line keeps blowing. There are a lot of wires going into the back of the thing. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the most likely place to start looking for the problem. Any help would be great.

Your description is somewhat ambiguous. You say you have issues with your stereo and then state the main fuse (15a) keeps blowing. The stereo does not.....or at least should not have a 15 amp fuse, so I assume you mean the main fuse to all your electrical. If that is the case.....more than the stereo should be affected and thus more than the stereo could be a potential cause of the blown fuse.

Many things could be causing the main fuse to blow. Random blown fuses are typically shorts. (frayed hot wires touching ground, bare connections touching ground, etc.) Sometimes loose connections that arc. Start checking the wires and connections first. Also look for loose grounds. Then operate each electrical component separately to see if it blows the fuse. Also look to see if some stray metal object might be touching a terminal or lead somewhere bridging a short. The 210 has a hinged console which brings movement into the formula. Wire harnesses and terminals moving around can fray or get pushed into other things.

Finally, determine what is actually the load on that 15 amp main fuse. (I know my electrical can draw a lot more that 15 amps and I rewired my 210 accourdingly) You just might be underwired and under fused for the load you have connected. :cool:

I refered to it as the main fuse into the stereo because it was on a heaver yellow line going into the rear of the stereo with a bunch of other wires. There was a smaller green ( i believe) wire with a 5a fuse near it. both were only a few inches from the connections into the rear of the stereo. The stereo was the only electronics even hooked up at the time and after I replaced the 15a 250v fuse. the stereo worked at replacing the fuse, but the next morning it would not. There was some power to the unit as the cd player loaded and ejected a cd. I will try to get a picture this morning and maybe you can explain what I am actually looking at. It seems like a lot of wires for a stereo cd player. This is all original equipment , wire and fuses, on my 03 210. thanks for the info
sorry upon looking again it is a red wire the 5a is on.

Last edited:
Here are the pics. I dont know what the heavy black plug is for, but that much copper showing cant be a good thing.

Attachments

• 210 stereo wiresa1.jpg
    210 stereo wiresa1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 210 stereo wiresb1.jpg
    210 stereo wiresb1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 210 stereo wiresc1.jpg
    210 stereo wiresc1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I checked the fuses today and both are still good. The stereo still is getting no power. Upon following the wires around I found this (see Pic).
The fuse block in the console cant possibly function in two pieces, or am I wrong;)

Attachments

• 210 stereo wiresd1.jpg
    210 stereo wiresd1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
The split panel shouldn't affect anything as the separated piece is simply a ground terminal. That fuse panel is only protecting one fused circuit and all the rest of the red hot wires are just using it as a positive terminal post. I certainly hope they are fused somewhere else.

Sorry but I can't realistically determine much from a closeup pic of a cluster of wiring. Need to be there in person to trace things. I can only offer some basic direction that might help you find the problem if it happens to be something obvious.

Thank you for the attempt anyway. I have been trying to follow the wires around, but found nothing out of the ordinary except that broken fuse block. There are so many wires bunched together in there and lots of them are not even plugged into anything. I guess I will just keep hunting :confused:

Well I think I got it. I followed the yellow power line back to that fuse block that I posted a pic of earlier. Turns out the only fused line on that block was for the stereo and it too was blown. All seems to be working now. Now to replace the speaker that have no diaphram. :)

Glad you solved your problem. I would for sure replace the broken fuse block and try to figure out why it broke. That much stress in the area should be relieved if possible. Maybe put a backer plate under the new one.

And the large cable you asked about in the original thread with photos is the antennae plug for your AM/FM functions. It is coax cable and has no power to it so not likely to cause a short but any exposed wire would be suspect to me. Cover the frayed portion with electrical tape and smooth out the rough cut out that caused it. Also protect any other wires from rubbing the rough cutout as it will cut any wire insulation that touches it. All of those wires bounce around a lot while underway.

Back