Summerland Key

T

tarheelborn66

I am going to the keys for a little R&R from April 28 - May 6. I will be taking my 210 down there and was wondering if anybody is familiar with the area? I would like to know some hot fishing spots off Summerland Key. If you have some GPS numbers that would be a bonus. I am mainly looking to troll but bottom fishing is not out of the question. Any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Kevin

tarheelborn66,

I just came back Saturday from spending a week on Cudjoe Key. I took my 190 Bay. Summerland key is the next key up I beleive. For what it is worth here is where we caught fish. The bigger snapper and a few tarpon were at the bridges. We fished early in the morning as were set before the tide changed directions. We through out a chum bag and set up on the side of the bridge that the chum would float to the bridge. We caught little pinn fish and used them as live bait to catch the big snapper under the bridges. We also used sardines cut up into 3/4 pieces that we salted heavily in a bucket. We call it "superbait". It worked well for snapper and grouper.

We fished out a couple of miles, still in the channel and catch snapper. The guy we rented the house from went out one day about 30 miles and caught 24 maui maui. The trolled to cath the first one, Then left it overboard and catch the rest.

I hope this helps you in some way. I bought a GPS for the trip , but I never could get any coordinates from anyone.

Back