Suzuki DF 140 4-Stroke

paginnett

Registered Member
OK, I've got the dealer stumped on this one. My 2004 Suzuki DF 140 started to surge/lurch at 2800 RPM. Can't get the motor to rev faster than that. They have ruled out fuel problems so it must be computer/electrical. They replaced the neutral sensor...that wasn't it. Anyone have any clues I can pass on to the mechanic?

Did they hook up the laptop to check the neutral switch? If it's right at 2800, then it is the neutral switch, wiring from it to the ECM or a bad ECM. Have them plug a known good ECM in to try it.

Paginnett, Try resetting the computer that controls the motor, you might be in "slow mode" because the motor exceded it's service time. Turn the ign. key on and remove the safety cut off switch 3 times [on off on off, etc]. This will reset the computer. Don't forget to service the motor.

Dick

I thought of the same thing Dick mentioned. The same behavior happened to me when I had a Suzuki 140 and I thought something was wrong with the engine. It was just letting me know in a very rude way that it was time to service the engine. I did the reset that Dick described and it ran fine.

well, i tried the reset procedure and it didn't work. So i guess it must be the ECM or a sensor so its back to the dealer 2 hours away! shucks. thanks anyway guys

I beleive the reset for the '04 motor is for the oil change warning light only. I have had it come on twice now with no performance change in the motor. The reset cancells the flashing light only.

Codfish

Oil change alert system does not activate the rev limiter - never has, never will. The neutral switch on the engine is stuck - it happens fairly often, usually after sitting unused for a long period of time.

It turned out that this was the neutral sensor on the boat in the throttle handle. It was not related to a Suzuki part at all. The signal was originating from the throttle but it looked like it was coming from the motor on their computer.

Back