Trailer Issues

mrgreencms

Participating Member
City
Woodbine
I recently replaced my entire brake system to include new calipers, pads, brake line, and accuator due to a problem that went from a mole hill to a mountain:eek:. The best advice I can give is to crawl under your trailer and take a look at your brake line. If it is metal I would check to see if it is leaking or rusting and replace as necessary. I also recommend pulling the wheels and taking a close look at the calipers to see how they are holding up. Once I got started I felt it was easier to replace everything except the rotors (they were in good shape). My trailer is an EZ loader which had metal brake lines which I replaced with rubber hoses bought at Boat house discount marine. As we enter almost full time boating a good inspection before and after is a way to prevent trouble:).

mrgreencms:

I am at the same X roads: (2008 195 CC) Last year I already had to replace brake lines went to hose kit. Thursday as going to pull boat, both brakes were locked up skidding tires. I was stuck between rock & hard spot 21 miles from home. Was able to have wheels turn with boat weight on the trailer. Like you when pulled wheels everything was rust including springs. Was able to free up caliper slides remove rust with wire brush put on rust inhibitor and paint with cold galvanize . This only temporary I know. If you noticed almost all the bolts/ spring shackles etc. had rusted, also did same treatment. I want to go same route but the farther I go the be hinder I get. What manufacture's parts did you install? SS or coated? Did you replace mounting brackets? If you could email as much info as you can on parts & numbers. I don't want to tear down & have sit waiting for parts. Email [email protected]

I used Kodiak 225's dacroment coated, I would have used stainless steel, however the local store did not have them. I checked the prices on line at a number of sites and found out that the trailerpartsdepot.com was a good site. I did not want to wait for them to be shipped so I went to a local trailer store called All Pro Trailer, located in Jacksonville, Florida and purchased the Kodiak's 225. I bought the brake line hoses from boathousediscountmarine also located in Jacksonville, Florida. I did not replace the caliper mounting brackets, or the rotors. I did prep the mounting brackets and clean off the rust. I purchased a bag of tie-raps form Harbor Freight and spent the day replacing and then road testing the trailer. Everything worked great, had one small leak and fixed that. The new kodiaks came with brake pads (you might want to check that when ordering). I will be keeping a close eye on the mounting brackets to see how they are holding up.
Dave

Back