eZLoad trailer - brake locked up. Need new lines

Big Al

Registered Member
City
Alexandria
Ok I have a trailer for a 215 cc that one wheel locked up. After inspection all of the brake lines have corroded. One to the point of separation from the connection "T". I am supprized as the boat was launched in Jan 08. the brake caliper look like they are corroded to point of needing replacing too. How long should the brake lines last? Where can I get new brake lines tees and brakes? I have found kodiak brakes and calipers, but am starting to think stainess. One last thing...the boat is about 100 miles from me and i dont know if they are 10 or12 inch brakes on the 215. Your input is most appreciated.Thanks Al

Go with Kodiak and get stainless if you can. Call EZ Loader or look them up on the web.They have great customer service and should be able to tell you what size brakes are on your trailer. Look in your phone book for local trailer sales and service. I have an 08 195CC and my brakes went out a year ago. Good luck.
John

I will give them a call tomorrow. I thought ss may be the way to go. Do your metal lines corrode or just the brakes?

Yes Kodiak are great, I had my drums replaced with kodiak DISC. They are easier to clean after each salt water trip. I have had them I think 4 years now, with only one issue, and it was covered by thier warrenty.

Just to continue this thread a bit more - I have an 08 195CC and EZ Loader trailer. I leave the boat on the trailer year round, and only move the trailer a few yards every time I launch and retrieve the boat. My question, after hearing about the problems other members have experienced is, what precautions should I be taking to ensure that the trailer brakes are still functioning when I have to move it a few miles for winter storage? As I said, it only moves a very short distance a number of times for the entire summer, and only sees fresh water. Any thoughts?

I just replaced my entire brake system with stainless kodiak calipers and rotors I bought from pacific trailers, the best price I found on the stainless lines were from champion trailers. Best advice is after launching your boat rinse the brakes off with a product called salt terminator, use a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer, only takes a minute to do but this is where you prevent the salt from doing its damage. The rotors are 10 inch on your trailer. AS for John F you are probably better off taking your brakes off your trailer because of your limited use.

Bassman what length SS Line did you get 20'?? I had found Pacific tailor and they are having a sale. I will check out champion shortly. I believe I will order the set with the SS Calipers and get SS lines, I cant go with the complete SS Rotors it get too expensive. I will start with the salt terminator afterward. Thanks for the info everyone.

I went with the 20' this will bring you just beyond the rear fender, the length is not too critical because there are more flexible lines in this kit then originally on the factory ez loader set up, I still tried to keep the lines from touching the trailer in fear of wear, even running the one across the axle I made rubber gaskets and stuck them between the line and axle, note also very hard to run the line through the front portion of the trailer, so just run the line tightly underneath and make a bent up towards the back up solenoid and connect. kit cost 99.00 @ champion.

Wait a minute!!!

I thought the using the sprayer with Salt Away was my idea. I spray after launch and after we retrieve. Then spray it all down again followed by the pressure washer when we get home.

See how old age makes all old ideas yours?;)

Wait a minute!!!

I thought the using the sprayer with Salt Away was my idea. )

Actually Sir (just don't tell my wife) I stand corrected... ;)

Upon making some deep searches going back many moons / years now I made mention of using the product "Salt Away" in trailer brake flush systems first, then I made mention of using it in a plastic weed killer can later on, but I did know know "at the time" who had that idea first in that (now ancient) thread. So I must have mentally assimilated it into my collective :p

So yes Brother Vic gets the credit by default! :D

See Great Minds think alike even if Vic was a squid way back when they were flogging cannon balls while under Sail Power :cool: At least I had oil burners under my decks even if some were built before WW II and were old Navy handed me down junk...

Actually Vic goes back so far he Mess Cooked the "Last Supper" that is why he has a direct line to the Almighty :)

I just had the local Triumph dealer tear off all my breaks/lines on the EZ Loader trailer. I have more than enough stopping power in my Toy Tundra. One of the lines broke and I must have been driving around at least a month with no trailer breaks and had no issues. I'm in flat country, no hills. I'm trying to control boat ownership costs (I'm only a minimal mechanic and hate it) so removing/not repairing the breaks was my option. I just had to replace all the wheel bearings on the trailer, replace the tilt/trim motor (this done under warranty, thank you Suzuki), and the 100hr service on the new powerhead (500 total hrs on the 215). As I handed the service person my credit card I just said here's my BOAT: bring out another $1000+. Have a nice day.

Here's a little tid-bit for those with surge type hydraulic trailer brakes. If your not sure and want to check to see if your brakes are working........just unplug the harness from your tow vehicle and back up your boat on level ground. Most systems have a back up solenoid that when your vehicle is placed in reverse, prevents the brakes from applying. disconnecting the harness plug from the vehicle will prevent the solenoid from activating and the brakes will apply if they are functioning. You will feel the drag from the brakes when backing. :)

BEE REEL,
I did the same thing you did on my 195CC trailer.I had the brakes removed and went back to grease hubs.My GMC 1500 pulls and stops the boat easily.I'm like you I live and boat in the flat lands.
John

Take them off......"Had no issues"(That just means you didn't wreck yet.) A Tundra or a GMC 1500 is not enough vehicle to stop over 5k moving pounds in an emergency stop. Not to mention an empty pickup box, makes for bad braking as a tow vehicle. Remember, it's not just the weight of the boat.....it's the trailer too. Add it all up. And there is momentum, or wet roads, or a blowout (and the list goes on). I personally think everyone towing trailers should be required to have a CDL license. If for nothing else, to be aware. C'mon people; that's why there are brakes for trailers. Keep them maintenanced......fix them if broken.... and make sure they work. You might be glad you did and someone else might too.
I've seen alot of really great and helpful advice on here, but I'm sorry guys; removing the brakes from your trailer is not good advice unless the rig never leaves your yard !! :mad:
In a towing wreck, they will first look for inoperative or missing equipment or an overloaded trailer or tow vehicle. And after the attorney's find out that information (and I assure you they will) ..........the cost for fixing brakes will seem cheap.

Back