Trailer brake problems

HighTechRedneck

Contributing Member
City
Montgomery
So I have a single axle aluminum ez loader trailer for my 191f/s. My hydrolic brake line keeps breaking where the line connects to the y that goes to each side. THe other problem I have is the one side the bleeder screw is completly frozen shut so I have to probably replace that caliper and I also probably have a fair amount of water in the lines from launching the boat with a broken line.

So I am thinking about going the electric route. Any thoughts? What should I use for the ezloader trailer? is going to electric a bad idea?

THanks
HTR

One more question. I never unplug the trailer from the truck. With the electric breaks will I have to unplug the trailer before dropping the boat in?

You can't use electric brakes and launch the boat at the ramp. They will be shot after the first launch. Just fix your surge brakes and secure the lines better so the vibration doesn't break the fittings. Throw in some maintenance a little more often and your good to go. Or in this case Stop!

This is all part of that big hole in the water, which we all throw money into.......:p

Unless your State requires their use for your size of hull? I would just kill the brakes and save on all the headaches ;)

I don't think that is a good idea Putershark.

My 195's EZLoader trailer brakes actually help to stop my car faster than without having the trailer attatched!

Much better to have 6 or even 8 wheels of brakes than just 4 when trying to stop ... regardless of the State Regs.

Frankly surge brakes are probelmatic especially when dipped in water. In a perfect world the tow vehicle would be of size to handle the load and driven be experienced person to mitigate unneccessary risks. But who really lives in the perfect world!! My brakes on my 215's trailer have yet to operate properly since i purchased it new, but both of my tow vehicles handle the load with no problem.

I f money allows upgrade to stainless calipers and brake lines from kodiak right after every launch have the person parking the trailer to spray the brakes with salt away from a 1 gallon sprayer only takes a minute but worth the time, this is when all the damage is taking place, in the parking lot after launching. Hope this helps.

I don't think that is a good idea Putershark.

My 195's EZLoader trailer brakes actually help to stop my car faster than without having the trailer attatched!

Much better to have 6 or even 8 wheels of brakes than just 4 when trying to stop ... regardless of the State Regs.

Your chances of having these surge brakes working on both sides at the same time are just not that good (worse if used in Salt Water) and these boats are just not that heavy for a fully equipped Class 3 tow rig to handle. In other words, your tow rig is doing most if not all the work now as it is ;)

All of the trailers I have had in the past including the one the old 210 had on only worked when I was trying to back it going up hill :rolleyes: Oh they did work one time I remember, that is when one brake locked up the left side wheel on the trip home :mad: that was fun... I could not kill those brakes after that ordeal fast enough! Funny thing was after killed it still took just as long to bring it all to a whoa, no wonder why I never saw a wear on any of the ones that either had shoes or pads.

I agree though if you can upgrade them to some better equipment than what more OEM's use and take care of them, at least you should have some extra braking power. And speaking of electric brakes, what is wrong with disconnecting the power to the trailer before backing it down the ramp? That is something I do each time and I not even have brakes and just do not like the thought if having lights working under Salt Water that could cause a short that may blow out one very expensive Nissan Xterra ECU.

Back