Trailer: repair or replace?

PAX

Participating Member
City
Bedford
Just got a call from my marina and I don't know what to think of it. I asked them to give me a quote to replace my breaks (the all hub). The trailer is 3 years old and in overall great conditions but the drum brakes gave up at the end of this season. They are so full of rust that the only options seems to be replacing the all hubs. I did not think it would cost that much but the offer is as follow:

Because drum breaks don't last more than 2 to 3 seasons they suggest I upgrade to disc brakes. However because of the amount of work to replace the old rusty drum brakes with brand new disk brakes they "offer" to sell me a brand new aluminium trailer for $3800 and buy back my 3 year old galvanized trailer for $850. My reaction was "that's crazy". The upgrade to discs on the "old" galvanized trailer would be $1850. They have not told me how much it would cost to just replace the drum brakes with new ones. Waiting for that number.

I have a few questions:
- Does it make economical sense in the long term to replace drums w/ disks. They told me that the maintenance is much easier and you don't experience the 2 to 2 years expense to replace the all thing.
- Is an aluminium trailer better than a galvanized one?
- What do you think of their offer? In the end it's more expensive than just upgrading my current trailer but on the other hand I would get an aluminium trailer. Not sure I see the value proposition here.

Thanks,

When I Redid My 04 Triumph Trailer This Past Summer I Found Out After I Had Done All The Work That The Discs Would Not Allow The Orig. Rims To Go Back On. I Had To Buy Hub Extensions And They Didnt Leave Allot Of Threads For The Nuts To Seat To. Yes I Could Have Gone With Larger Rims And Tires And It May Come To That If And When The Tires Wear Out There Will Be A Deal For Those Looking Spare Rims And Tires When That Time Comes!!!!. I Had About $600 In Materials Cost And Did All The Work Myself And It Is Doable If You Are A Do It Your Selfer.

As With All My Posts ,i Am Looking For The Way I Can Do Something Myself At The Least Expense Incurred. So Far I Have Come Out Ahead ,but This One Should Have Been Thought Out And The Factory Called In Advance To Make Sure These Would Have Directly Refitted The Drum Style.

PAX, I am sorry for your pain.

After reading what you are going thru I am thankful that I have my trailer. Yes, I paid more than a standard trailer, but it is all aluminum, including the axle. It is lower which helps with launching and retrieve, and I spray the brakes with Salt Away after launch, after retrieve, and after flushing the motor at home. We also add a squirt or two of grease to each wheel after every use and pump new grease into each wheel every spring (takes almost a tube per wheel and we only use Amsoil marine grease).

We hope that our efforts will help keep trouble away longer. Our goal when we purchased our trailer was to have a trailer that would last as long as the boat, and based on the 20 and 30 something year old trailers from the same manufacturer that are still in use, we just might do it.

If you are not going to do the work yourself, then I would vote for a new trailer. Please shop around and get the best you can afford. Buying a new trailer every five or so years does not make economic sense to me.

PAX!!! $ 1850.00 is an outrage for disc break upgrade. I had my Galvanise trailer done 2 years ago, for $350.00. I too use salt away on every trip to ensure long lasting brakes. I did not need different rims, nor hub extensions. Shop around!!. Not sure where you anchor at, but if you are in cal I can send you an address where I had mine done.

I had my Galvaniseensure long lasting brakes.

Genelie: just to make sure I understand right. $350 was to upgrade to disc brakes?

The quote I got is:
Labor: 10 hours * $90/hour = $900
Parts: + $950
------
Total: = $1850

Yes!!, Here I will copy / paste my original post ...

Up grade on trailer brakes
Hi All,
Since I have leaking wheel cylinders. I went out to get estimates from various shops, even though I could do the work. I wanted to see how much it would cost me to have someone do the work. Roughly $ 285 -$ 300. That includes re-pack of bearings re-hone of wheel cylinders. Extra if pads are needed. Both places did confirm that with salt water brakes and cylinders can go bad even after 1 to 3 years. SOOOooo It was brought to my attention of disc brakes. All is exposed for easy cleaning, and easy to apply salt away. So pads may need changed every 5-10 years depending on how much you use. Price for the upgrade is $ 248. plus 1,5 hours labor = $ 127.50 grand total of $ 375.5. So for approx $ 90 - $ 100. more. I get a great brake system that last longer than 3 years with little maintenance.

Jeez I trusted my marina, .............. until Genelie's post.

disc brakes

I have a210 03 with a 140 Johnson also. Replaced my drums with disc about three months ago. Parts a little over $300.oo shop labor at my regular mechanic (aut0) around three hundred. To long to post here but you may give me a call at 336 841 1739 and I'll explane more. I love the disc job. Mel

Glad that we all were able to get you info before you burned a huge whole in your wallet.:D

What a Great Thread!!

I embarrassed to say that I haven't been on the site for awhile guys, but after reading this thread on the Drum to Disc conversion I just want to say thanks to all here. This is what this sight is all about! Owners helping out owners. I'm back again and hope to make constructive and helpful posts again.

Ron

And by the way, my poor 195DC is covered up and surrounded by 2 feet of snow, OUCH!

Back