Transducer Clutter

Gag

Registered Member
:mad: I have a Furuno FCV 600L on an 02 210 with a 135 Opti. At about 4-5 mph in deep water the screen fills almost entirely with clutter. Once I drop the speed it clears up. If I get into shallow water (below 75 feet or so) it will run at 20+mph and is clear as a bell. Furuno says they believe it is prop cavitation. They say in shallow water, the stronger returns are clearing the clutter up. I have the transducer mounted on the starboard chine nearest the keel (right where the picture here show and my dealer recommends) and the transducer is in plenty of water. I would love to do a thru-hull and be rid of the problem, but it looks like that is not an option. I have a good P66 transducer. Is there an alternate location anyone has had success with?
Thanks

Transducers on these boats are a major frustation of mine also, so don't feel alone. I am running a furuno a fcv-620, it's a great unit, but limited by the transducer(boat) capability). I would suggest making sure the entire belly of the ducer is below that chine in the boat. Also make sure it has a slight tilt downward. Hopefully this will help. If you are fishing offshore or in deeper water and just trying to meter fish, you can always change to manuel mode and set your depth and around 200 ft. I do this all the time when fishing patties or marlin, shark. Hope one of those works for ya.

I have the furuno 582L..600 watts :D:D:D 2 things to think about. # 1 do you have both 200 and 50 ...if so you will find the 200 is for penatrating deep, and will give practically no clutter, as with the 50 is for shallow wide spread and picks up everything. So if you are in auto mode, switch to manual and run 200. # 2 as what tylerderdan said, make sure your transducer is WAY below the bottom of boat. DO NOT BE AFRAID to lower more than the instructions say. It states 1/8 inch below....I have mine 1 inch and it made all the difference in the world. My 50 still has a lot of clutter when trolling or running, but being color I can still make out when a fish shows up.

:)Thanks for all the help on this. I'm going to drop the unit down. I followed the unit recomendations and only have it barely an 1/8th of an inch. Tuna Beware!!!

Back