WarChest

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
Wondering what to do with getting all those rods organized or just getting them all out to the boat?
You can make a mobile rod rack and tackle/reel chest with just a simple trip to HomeDepot or Lowes.
Start with an unfinished cabinet, add a wooden frame to the bottom to support caster wheels and another wooden frame about 10" up from that which you will drill 2" holes for your rod handles to sit. Wood screws and/or Gorilla glue will do the job then finish anyway you like. I used Red Oak framing wood, oak door pre fab cabinet and heavy duty bearing wheels for smooth rolling over concrete.
More photos in my photo album.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
MolarBoater, you sure do nice work. That is a GREAT idea, looks like fun, easy to build, and can save money. Thanks for the pictures and description.

In My company, we have 5 trades one is cabinets...one crew member/ fishing partner made one out of a defective cabinet...the difference is he also made loops on the top of the cabinet to keep the rods standing up straight. He has YET!! to make me one...that turkey butt.

I've been considering something to that effect, the loops, since I have a left over 6' piece of red oak but then considered heat flaring PVC pipe and inserting them in the holes as "rod holders". Or maybe some type of "clip". Sometimes I just like to sit back a few weeks and then BAM, the perfect design will hit me (or I see it on the shelf in the plumbing section at Lowes).

Back