What a mess this has become for South Florida

BTT (Bonefish and Tarpon Trust) Dr. Aaron Adams, who is now BTT's Director of Science and Conservation. Put together a very educational video and slide show combo that goes into detail, the issues South Florida as well as other parts of the State are fighting with Fresh Water discharge and or fresh water flowing in the wrong directions. This is a excellent video to watch if you live or spend a lot of time here in our Great State :)

Recently (as in days ago) the US Army Corps of Engineers "throttled back" the amount of water headed towards us here in SWFL. But that was really nothing more than a Band Aid on a bullet hole, and the water behind our home still looks like chocolate milk :( The tide cycles with it's ability to mix and pull this water out towards the Gulf, simply cannot flush out the volume of it now entering this estuary.

Two days ago, Gov. Rick Scott issued a state of emergency due to the algae blooms raging in Lake Okeechobee and the Caloosahatchee and St. Lucie rivers.

"It’s frustrating right now and I’m sure if you’re a boater or fisherman or someone who wants to enjoy the water, it’s frustrating to see this in the water," Scott said while on a boat tour of the Caloosahatchee Monday.

The declaration includes seven counties: Lee, Hendry, Glades, Martin, Okeechobee, St. Lucie and Palm Beach.

So much for the various press releases and as my Daddy taught me "Consider the Source, Son" ;) I am quite sure the main stream media was / is very selective in what was reported as they "pick sides" for their own political agenda, and not just report the News anymore.

Simply Stated from a guy on the front lines... The water behind our home is a royal mess and growing darker and now with clumps of (for a better lack of scientific terms) plant junk floating in it. Water that years ago even in the canals clear, now looks like the Mississippi River or Chocolate Milk :(

The Army Corps of Engineers (at least for now) has stopped all flow into the Caloosahatchee and St. Lucie river systems from Lake Okeechobee and I am sure this will help in time. However, they cannot do this for long as the rainy season is now here and the Lake and it's Dam / Dike (much of it earthen in material) can only handle so much hydraulic pressure. Only by sending this water South through The Glades (as designed from Above) will address this problem.

As a USCG Veteran, I sometimes wonder if anyone has ever considered using the same, or a variant of the same booms use to skim up spilled oil on the surface of the water, and then spray this stuff onto fields as an all natural and organic fertilizer?

All my best!
Dave

Greed and disregard for others by growers, developers and politicians taking bribes, is what got it that way.......and unfortunately, the expense (taxpayers expense) is what is going to impede any cleanup.....It's always about the money. Every time Humans have messed around with mother nature, they screw it up. And then it cost's a hundred times as much to try to correct the damage.

Brother Bill I agree with most of your assessment!

When you have a Natural Resource that leads to a State Wide Saltwater "Recreational" Fishing Industry alone of around 7.6 Billion a year... I am quite sure that is enough money to apply the needed pressure to address this issue :)

We just need to make our collective "Recreational" Saltwater fishing voices heard, to have it put on the Fast Track to finally get it addressed!

In the mean time, somebody with the Command Authority to "Hail the Coast Guard" to break out the Skimmers, and start getting this junk off the surface of the water... That is part of the their (Office of Marine Environmental Response Policy) Mission Statement which clearly states.

"Provide guidance, policy, and tools for Coast Guard Marine Environmental Response planning, preparedness, and operations to prevent, enforce, investigate, respond to, and to mitigate the threat, frequency, and consequences of oil discharges and hazardous substance releases into the navigable waters of the United States."

I almost bet that IF it was a Tanker that was leaking Oil all over the place, it would be getting contained by now ;)

Yeah, and what an opportunity for the local Politicians. Tons of ads running showing the condition and how they all are going to make it their number one priority and clean it up and make those responsible pay..........What a load of BS. Not real sure what it's gonna take before it is addressed. Kinda like a "stop sign" policy...... they wait until many innocents die, before they put up a stop sign. And in our media driven society, the tragedy is the news, not the fix.

Unfortunately, no real solution on the horizon that I can see.:(

With it being a election cycle, I expect such however... I have not seen many of those Ads stating where those candidates are going to finally / again address this? :confused: Maybe on the East Coast you guys are getting more of those type of ads than us here in SWFL?

I do feel that we have have a fix (at least a great start) and as a State, we voted to correct the water flow years ago. We need to get that water flowing back through The Glades again.

I also have a theory, that this will help address this rouge snake problem by getting more water into the The Glades south of US41 so the Gators can get after them. The Gators need water to move around and eat those dudes long "before" they get 17 feet long :oops:

everglades-camping-8-660x495.jpg

But I digress...

I think Dr. Adams video I posted above though goes into detail this issue and how to address it. The 1st being the water flow and then we can loop back and address the other two parts of this (as he calls it) 3 headed monster.

fix our water.jpg

All My Best,
Dave
Associate Administrator

If you live in SWFL, then please try to attend the Army Corp of Engineers Update meeting Tues July 31th, 12:30p at Cape Coral Yacht Club. Bring a friend and let your concerns be heard ;)

YACHT CLUB COMMUNITY PARK
5819 Driftwood Parkway
Cape Coral, FL 33904

All My Best,
Dave
Associate Administrator

So I went to the meeting and could not even find a place to park and I was advised, that the Fire Marshall was not even letting more people into the building. So the good news is that it has gotten a ton of attention and many, many "voters" were there to ask questions and voice their displeasure at the current state of the water. :) Trust me it is a mess with a ton of fish kills just South of me :confused:

So I watched as much if it that was posted online when I got back and as expected... We all know how to address this issue (send this water South) but the Army Corp of Engineers are not being allowed to do such due to the water quality issues inside Lake O :rolleyes: to allow it to go into (the now dry) Everglades. They are also hand tied behind the guidelines of "Flood Control" thus any relief is years in the making as per the Staff Officer sent to field questions. And she was an Army Colonel so her orders come from DC and not the State, and really there is not anything she "can" personally do.

At times (as expected) it got pretty heated at that meeting, and she did a great job handling the crowd. One person drove home a very hard point and that was "We cannot allow our grass clippings to hit the water, so how can you dump billions of gallons of polluted water and get away with it?" which I thought was a great point! But again, the Army Corp of Engineers are simply following orders while keeping others from getting flooded out.

I expected such for this has been going on for years now. But I was disappointed that I could not get inside and at least ask about pulling in some Federal assets (Coast Guard Marine Environmental Response) as see if we can get some skimmers here to pull off some of this Blue Green algae that is creating the havoc like this...

IMG_6814_1531170777420_91936200_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

At least make a effort to try "something" while working on the long term fix. As I have stated before and to others, if this was Oil that was spilled from some tanker, they would be here working on it...

As I hear of more meeting and calls to action from the various groups, I will post them as soon possible. If you live in SWFL and can, please do attend :)

In reading over some information from CFCW on the problem, this paragraph really brings to light one of the root causes of the problem...

"Under normal circumstances, Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) farmers may not contribute substantial nutrients to this water supply. When we experience heavy rains, however, sugar and other farm lands south of Lake Okeechobee flood. That water is then drained into ditches and ultimately pumped into Lake Okeechobee. This practice is known as back-pumping, and it adds fair amount of fresh water and nutrients to the lake. Back-pumping doesn’t happen on a daily basis, only during periods of heavy rains. The practice is justified in the name of reducing flood risk in largely agricultural areas south of Lake Okeechobee, however it is arguably a violation of the intent of the Clean Water Act and works mostly to the benefit of agricultural corporations operating in the EAA. And it is just one example of the many Lake Okeechobee water mismanagement issues facing our state."

And if you are in SWFL and would like to join other concerned citizens, there is a planned get together on the Matlacha Bridge from 1 to 2pm on Sunday August 5th

All My Best,
Dave
Associate Administrator

There was a pretty good turn out today on the Matlacha Bridge in protest of this mess, and even "yours truly" held a sign for a while ;)

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Next planned event is in Ft. Myers ;)

Looking forward to Captain Blanco's new show, and the extra exposure it will give to all the water quality issues we have here in South Florida...

Also getting a little frustrated in seeing scenes like this almost daily now :(

38130803_10156499430503674_6926228870446186496_n.jpg

38162993_10156499430528674_7124306439945846784_n.jpg

Send The Water South, Not Underground...

More in this subject on this link: https://captainsforcleanwater.org/send-the-water-south-not-underground/

And I agree, this system will not work for it still starves areas of desperately needed water, while the rest of us are drowning in polluted fresh water :( Just another way to spend taxpayer money for another flawed concept...

Update from CFCW on the recent and very positive actions taken by Governor DeSantis, who in 48 hours into his term, called for the resignations of the nine-member South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) governing board. can be found here:

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/goss-appointed-to-sfwmd-board/

This after the same Board had been caught signing more agreements with Big Sugar, instead of moving forward with the planed project to help restore The Glades and it's natural flow South.

So progress is being made, and many thanks to Governor DeSantis for taking actions so soon!

My apologies for being a little behind in my duties around here one of them, updating this import topic. So here is the latest to me from Captain for Clean Water on this subject and the progress (finally) that is being made...

Dear Dave,

As you read this, we’re attending a meeting of the South Florida Ecosystem Restoration Task Force in Washington, DC. Along with other conservation groups and industry leaders, we will be visiting with lawmakers to urge their support for full funding, progress, and solutions for Everglades restoration.

At home in Florida, we’re seeing critical projects being expedited and completed that provide much-needed relief to the Everglades and our coastal estuaries.

Under the direction of Governor Ron DeSantis, the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) is quickly advancing the EAA Reservoir, an essential project for sending water south to the Everglades and Florida Bay. Land leases that have previously prevented construction have recently been terminated or are in the process of being bought out by the state.

Once the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers permit is issued, the District will begin construction on the intake canal that will deliver water to the reservoir and stormwater treatment area (STA). Once completed, the EAA Reservoir and STA will reduce the damaging discharges from Lake Okeechobee by up to 60%.

Another step forward comes as the Blue Green Algae Task Force provided their initial recommendations for water quality improvements, including agricultural best management practices, stormwater treatment systems, and sewage system regulations, underscored by science-based decision-making. The governor announced that he will be pushing for new legislation to ensure these recommendations are enforced and implemented.

Last week, we attended the groundbreaking ceremony for the C-43 Caloosahatchee Reservoir, a project that will provide much-needed relief and balance to the Caloosahatchee River estuary. The reservoir will store Lake Okeechobee releases and local basin runoff in the wet season so it can be used to balance salinity in the estuary during the dry season. The SFWMD has been directed to add a stormwater treatment component to clean the water before it’s released.

Every step forward is a victory. Every project that improves water quality in some way is a victory. Every person who grasps the bigger picture and speaks up on the issues—accelerates the progress being made to restore our waters.

We look forward to briefing you on the meetings here in DC. Keep an eye on Facebook for live updates this week.

Thank you for your continued support,

Captain Daniel Andrews and Captain Chris Wittman

The founders of CFCW have a set down chat on this topic in a Podcast here:

Enjoy and Share!

Back