What is the better engine and why?

plumber17

Registered Member
City
Greensboro
which is the better engine ETEC 150 or Suzuki DF 150? those are two choices I have with my boat purchase and of course Yamaha:confused:

Hi Plumber17,

I replaced a 50hp Suzuki with a 60hp E-Tec and I won't be buying anything but E-Tecs in the future.

While the Suzuki was a good engine, the E-Tec is a better engine!

I have a yama and love it. I have had no problems with it yet. If you have to choose somethind else I have heard nothing but good about the E-tec. I would go with the E-tec.

I'd choose the engine that is most dependable and can get you back to the dock.....easiest to maintain.....reasonably priced.....I would "lurk" into some other boating boards like FloridaSportsman, BoatUS to check for recalls etc, and boat and trailer magazine etc......take it all with a grain of salt.

Finding a good motor is getting easier and easier, warranties are now up around 6 years in general....It can boil down to who's got the best deal and if there is someone that can service your motor if you don't and color. Man, if it comes down to color.....that will tell you how good things have gotten.

Black: Mercury Saltwater Optimax, Verado, Etec, Yamaha, Suzuki
Silver: Yamaha(more of a Carbon), some Tohatsu's(some black), Honda
White: Evinrude, Johnson (some of which are part or all Suzuki)

Now, what color do you want?

I have a 2006 75hp etech. I had a small problem at first, but that was taken care of buy my dealer and have not had any problems since. It is easy to maintaine [ none for the first 3yrs or 300hrs]. The motor is quiet and there is no smoke. It's good on fuel and oil and puts the boat [170cc] on a plane very fast. I was looking at a four stroke but found to many reviews and comments on the etech. There is also no break in time as the computer increases the oil during this. good luck

Elroy. I see you have the 75hp E-tec. How low does the boat sit in the back? I was thinking of putting a 60hp E-tec on my 17CC when I get it. The 60 is about a 100lbs lighter

I have a Yamaha F150 and love it. Runs great, quiet, powerful and has excellent fuel economy. I have ran Yamy bikes and snowmobiles for years and never had problems!!!!!

Etec, lighter, less moving parts, 3 years without an maintenance, just as good as the 4 strokes on fuel. Need I say more?

They also have a great deal on www.boatshowdeals.com
(I think i'll get the 42" plasma)!

Good Luck,

M I M

MIM wrote
"Etec, lighter, less moving parts, 3 years without an maintenance, just as good as the 4 strokes on fuel. Need I say more?"..................

Yes HPDI

HaHa, this debate will run as long as TBO site is in existance!

I don't think many Triumph owners dislike their motors.....we own just about all the different brands. Notice in the threads, there are few complaints on any of them. They are all pretty good, whatever you choose, chances are, you are going to be much better off than just 10 years ago.

Just do not underpower the boat.....and prop accordingly.

I have had the opportunity to run the bigger E-Tech and was very impressed

I have had the opportunity to run the bigger E-Tech at several dealer meeting the past two years and was very impressed. They are fast, quiet and no smoke. (and I think they look good also) I may start carrying them in future years as I use to sell Johnson and Evinrude a few years back. I just want to give them some time in the evolvement and fine tuning of their products before we take them back on again.

We also want to hear more people requesting them in our area. Today, everybody (or at least most) in our neck of the Back Bay walks through the door asking for a Japanese 4-Stroke. And I love my Yamaha and Suzuki motors. So Far, Very Little Warranty Work and never a major failure, NEVER.

I second Molar Boater's comment about owners generally being satisfied with all makes/models and will offer up the Honda 150 4-stroke for you to consider. I've had it on my 210 for four years and it's never given me a lick of trouble (and I pray that I haven't upset the motor gods and jinx myself).

Back