Yep, it's the safety Guru again......

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
A while back while landing some dolphin, one of my crewmates got sloppy with the gaff and stuck himself. Bleed like a stuck pig. (but it didn't stop the fishing, I might add)
Anyway, I was wandering thru Outdoor World and saw an item in the camping section that seemed very important on a boat. It was packets of "Quik Clot". To stop bleeding. You don't see that in typical first aid kits. I have a very elaborate Offshore First Aid kit and it's not in there either. With the conditions on a boat it just seems practical. I mean......filet knives, gaffs, propellers, hooks, toothy fish, slippery decks, and long distances from medical help......And in the case of my crewmate above, he takes Plavix (blood thinner) due to an arterial stent he has, so he bleeds alot. This is a no brainer. It seems like a very necessary item. Several packets are now in my First Aid Bag. I also saw a deal on a vacuum sealer . I wanted one for freezing fish and after I got it home I used it to repackage everything in my ditch bag and toolbox (even though they are waterproof) that might be vulnerable to moisture or other damage.

Just shows, there is always room for improvement. Plus, I just like messin with the boat. LOL. :p

May I add,
For those of you who were in one of the Naval Branches of Service these terms will bring back fond memories " Stow all this loose gear on the deck "

Now for those who did not serve, that is one of the biggest safety factors that must "always" kept in mind.

Loose gear is a prelude for a disaster on any vessel ;)

All loose gear needs stowed before getting underway, period... Way too easy to loose your balance on the deck and I can make somebody loose their balance and fall simply by cranking up my trolling motor if you are not ready for it :)

Thanks for the great safety tip. After reading your post I look up OuikClot on the net and their website is quikclot.com where they have a whole line of products and information. I sent them an e-mail asking which stores carry their product and when I receive a reply, I will post on the site. I will be adding this to my medical kit also. I also agree with stowing loss gear, as these items will come back to visit you when you least expect it.

101 thing to do with a vacuum seal machine...

You can also vacuum seal the bleeding body part to keep it fresh.:D

Back