120cc

B

bobreeves

I've recently tried out and returned a Carolina Skiff J16. I am on Lake Livingston in Texas - a man made lake not well marked with many stumps at or just below the surface. I've decided I need an even smaller boat and the 120cc seems to fill the bill. I'm planning on a Honda 30 HP 4-stroke - seemed to be about the lightest 4-stroke available. The boat will be trailered and stored inside. I also thought the hull material in the 120cc would suit itself better to user repairs should I come in contact with something (happens to everyone who uses this lake).

Wondered what users experience is with both the DoelFin (which I almost always use) and the CMC tilt-trim. The reason I am considering the CMC is that it moves the motor back and up some, presumingly reducing draft a bit more. Would I be better off just using the Honda with its own tilt trim along with the Doelfin? The Doelfin made a huge difference in performance with the J16, eliminating porpoising, decreasing time to get on plane, and allowing the boat to stay on plane at much lower engine RPM. I've used it on every boat I've owned - both outboards and IOs and swear by it.

Another concern is water between the inner and outer hulls, which I experienced with the J16. Is this a problem with the 120cc? If so, can it be fixed by resealing all screws in the inner hull with 5200 and installing an additional O-ring sealed drain plug on the transom?

Any opinions / suggestions are welcome, including suggested power. I really prefer 4-stroke for the quiet and smooth low speed operation, as I will be doing more cruising and fishing than racing around the lake.

Regards,

Bob

Back