170DC on a floating boat lift

M

Marshall

I am the 3rd owner of a 2006 170dc with a 70hp Yamaha OB (2 stroke). I have it stored on a floating dock with rollers - made by EZ dock (the EZport 4). Is there a significant risk of bottom damage from the rollers? The rear roller is very near the end of the transom, so I think the support at this critical location is as good at this dock can offer. It is not an option to install bunks on this dock.
The boat is used for light duty fishing on a very small freshwater lake. As the 3rd owner, I do not have a warranty, and I am inclined to keep storing the boat on the roller assembly unless there is a definite risk of something very unsafe. I would not be terribly bothered if it only resulted in a few bumps in the hull.

From the Factory:
We recommend staying away from rollers because they only support the hull along a single line at the tangent of the roller. This type of concentrated stress can cause bottom distortion. Bunk trailers and lifts offer much more surface area and, when properly set up, ensure problem free support of the Roplene hull.

Back